Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

Enclosure idea


Recommended Posts

Posted

Hey guys I wanted to ask you guys if you think this box would work. I'm building a 4th order for 4 RF p3 12s in a ford probe hatch. I'm building the box then going to wall it.

It's roughly 2:1 ratio. It's goin to be about 4.3 cubic feet sealed firing into about 7.9 cubic feet ported with a port area of about 1.7 cubic feet. Tuned about 35

The box is 34-depth, 36-width, 27-height, the port is 16x16 and length is 11.7.

I feel the port may be to big but all my math seems right unless I did something wrong.

If I left something out let me know

OP port area is not port volume, the port is too big is not a way to understand it's performance, take your time to understand these things better or your box is not going to come out well.

Posted

Not clipping anything, and I know how to set gains I just don't have all the tools like everyone else I have pretty steady voltage even on hard hits, I have two extra batteries to help I have sq2000 soundquest not the best but gets the job done. The lowest it will drop down to is 12.5 volts maybe. And I have gains set on everything else at 3/4 or lower. I could go higher if I want but I don't cuz I don't want to get close to any clipping or distortion point, sense I don't have the right tools to know exactly that point. I have to go old school and do it by ear learned it all from my dad he was the first generation back in the 80,s with his jetson's truck. And my amp doesnt work that way if I turn my gain all the way down its pretty much off even at 14.4 volts, but I have worked with amps that are like that so I know what you mean.

How did you set your gains and what does it mean to have the gain at 3/4?

Posted

....I have to go old school and do it by ear learned it all from my dad he was the first generation back in the 80,s with his jetson's truck. And my amp doesnt work that way if I turn my gain all the way down its pretty much off even at 14.4 volts, but I have worked with amps that are like that so I know what you mean.

I'm not trying to be a dick, but all you told me here was that you don't know how to properly set your gains and you have been doing it the wrong way for a long time. You cannot do it properly by ear because you can't hear clipping until it becomes fairly significant.

If you want to experiment for a band pass box I can totally understand that. I think its good for people to experiment, as long as they aren't just doing it blindly. Just understand that you probably aren't going to get as good of performance out of a band pass box as you would out of a ported box and it might take you several tries to get something that works well.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Posted

Damn I wasn't trying to get into arguements about how I set gains, was asking about my port and advice on how or if I should Change it.

I don't have all the correct meters to see The actual clip point I'm sorry and if there is a proper way to do it with out meters then please let me know but you can set gains pretty fairly by ear as long as your not cranking all up

Posted

Hey guys I wanted to ask you guys if you think this box would work. I'm building a 4th order for 4 RF p3 12s in a ford probe hatch. I'm building the box then going to wall it.

It's roughly 2:1 ratio. It's goin to be about 4.3 cubic feet sealed firing into about 7.9 cubic feet ported with a port area of about 1.7 cubic feet. Tuned about 35

The box is 34-depth, 36-width, 27-height, the port is 16x16 and length is 11.7.

I feel the port may be to big but all my math seems right unless I did something wrong.

If I left something out let me know

OP port area is not port volume, the port is too big is not a way to understand it's performance, take your time to understand these things better or your box is not going to come out well.

Originally it was going to be a slit port but I wanted to try a bigger square port but if that doesn't work then I won't. What kind of port design do I do?

Posted

Not clipping anything, and I know how to set gains I just don't have all the tools like everyone else I have pretty steady voltage even on hard hits, I have two extra batteries to help I have sq2000 soundquest not the best but gets the job done. The lowest it will drop down to is 12.5 volts maybe. And I have gains set on everything else at 3/4 or lower. I could go higher if I want but I don't cuz I don't want to get close to any clipping or distortion point, sense I don't have the right tools to know exactly that point. I have to go old school and do it by ear learned it all from my dad he was the first generation back in the 80,s with his jetson's truck. And my amp doesnt work that way if I turn my gain all the way down its pretty much off even at 14.4 volts, but I have worked with amps that are like that so I know what you mean.

Oh really? My gains are all the way down on my amp and I cant turn them up or i will distort my speakers. You have low input voltage my friend

boss 1200 and a ipod nano.

Posted

Damn I wasn't trying to get into arguements about how I set gains, was asking about my port and advice on how or if I should Change it.

I don't have all the correct meters to see The actual clip point I'm sorry and if there is a proper way to do it with out meters then please let me know but you can set gains pretty fairly by ear as long as your not cranking all up

Sorry, I wasn't trying to nitpick, it was just something that jumped out at me.

As far as your box goes. With that large of a front chamber its going to have somewhat peaky output, though not as bad as other band pass boxes I've seen. I'd recommend tuning the front chamber to about 42 hz. That should get you good output from around 27 hz up to about 46 hz.

A 16" x 16" port is more than you need and will need to be pretty long to get your tuning where you want. For port area I'd shoot for about 130 sq in. You could make your port 11" x 12" x 16" long and that would be about right.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Posted

Damn I wasn't trying to get into arguements about how I set gains, was asking about my port and advice on how or if I should Change it.

I don't have all the correct meters to see The actual clip point I'm sorry and if there is a proper way to do it with out meters then please let me know but you can set gains pretty fairly by ear as long as your not cranking all up

Sorry, I wasn't trying to nitpick, it was just something that jumped out at me.

As far as your box goes. With that large of a front chamber its going to have somewhat peaky output, though not as bad as other band pass boxes I've seen. I'd recommend tuning the front chamber to about 42 hz. That should get you good output from around 27 hz up to about 46 hz.

A 16" x 16" port is more than you need and will need to be pretty long to get your tuning where you want. For port area I'd shoot for about 130 sq in. You could make your port 11" x 12" x 16" long and that would be about right.

So leave the box how it is just with a 11"x12"x16" port or re calculate the whole chamber

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 3168 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...