oldschoolbeats Posted May 12, 2015 Report Posted May 12, 2015 I see alot of people running $100 sheets of baltic birch ply in theyre box builds, what are the advantages? Has anybody dones any true comparison between the 2? By building 2 identical boxes out of the 2 materials and compared them?
Kyblack76 Posted May 12, 2015 Report Posted May 12, 2015 weight SMD SUPER SELLER The Burban Build Blazer Build sold Acura trunk build sold
magillaru Posted May 12, 2015 Report Posted May 12, 2015 Some say there's a difference in resonance but people who have used both say there's really no difference. Like above, biggest thing is weight.....can be pretty significant too. The dust from MDF is pretty bad for the lungs (worse than wood.....lots of chemicals). If you can find a quality Arauco ply, it's cheaper than birch and is damn nice......I had a choice between birch (11-ply) and the arauco (7-ply)......I got the arauco and was very happy with my choice (and was $30 less per sheet). Singer Alternators Team Asshole #anothershittysingerbuild
magillaru Posted May 12, 2015 Report Posted May 12, 2015 ^ that's a good price OP, just make sure you don't birch from any big box stores.....might as well just get some cheap basic plywood. Singer Alternators Team Asshole #anothershittysingerbuild
Triticum Agricolam Posted May 12, 2015 Report Posted May 12, 2015 Like Magillaru, I use Arauco for most of the enclosures I build. While not as stiff, its lighter and significantly less expensive than Baltic Birch. I avoid MDF as much as possible. No matter what plywood you use, make sure it has at least 7 plys for 3/4" material. "Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it.""Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."Builds:
oldschoolbeats Posted May 12, 2015 Author Report Posted May 12, 2015 I know, ive built enough cabinets to use thousands of sheets of birch ply, i know what plywood is good lol. To the guy above, $62 a sheet for 11 ply baltic birch? You should buy a semi load and bring it up here and sell it for $85 a sheet, here it hovers between $95 and $110 , cheapest place is intermountain.
oldschoolbeats Posted May 12, 2015 Author Report Posted May 12, 2015 Im not understanding the "avoid mdf" thing.... this game was built on mdf and other than weight i feel the birch is just a fad...
magillaru Posted May 12, 2015 Report Posted May 12, 2015 Like several people said above, mdf is much heavier. People use birch because when they have 10-12 sheets going into a shell or whatever, it comes out to be much lighter using birch. Not sure what else you're looking for..... EDIT: and like I mentioned before, mdf is some nasty stuff.....I'd rather not breathe that in. As far as overall results regarding soud and output, from what I have read, you're not going to notice much of a difference if any at all. Singer Alternators Team Asshole #anothershittysingerbuild
Triticum Agricolam Posted May 12, 2015 Report Posted May 12, 2015 Im not understanding the "avoid mdf" thing.... this game was built on mdf and other than weight i feel the birch is just a fad... MDF works fine, it's just heavy and makes a huge mess. I avoid it because plywood is much more pleasant to work with. "Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it.""Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."Builds:
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.