Decibel ratings for music

Curious what the OM-1 shows as far as from one extreme to the other of what you are talking about. Maybe I am thinking of something else though...

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

Well it sounds like you've got it figured out. I personally don't have the time to go through all of my music and do that. And it's not an issue for me to adjust my volume knob when I know a song has come on that can possibly damage my equipment. Its about knowing what your equipment can and can not do.

Just a tip, download it and try it. You literally just select "add folder" of wherever your music is, and push one button and walk away. It's that simple, and like I said it's reversible and does not alter the files in any way. It takes the ear bleeding shock out of having a song that seems twice as loud come on after one that is unusually quiet.

John

Curious what the OM-1 shows as far as from one extreme to the other of what you are talking about. Maybe I am thinking of something else though...

I considered buying one just to see, but I can't think of a good place to mount it in my DD. I would like a VM1 and OM1 but I like a factory looking interior so I'm screwed

I am curious who all else uses that program you speak of, makes me want to try it, my music is all over the place for quiet and loud, fuck!

yea, I was only curious about the OM-1 thing. Wondering if the differences you are talking about affected the reading on the OM-1, and/or maybe even the quality of the songs themselves. Take it for what it is though, i am noob.

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

Om1 can show you when your up..

but,..... that will be different than just setting all to "high"..

soooooooooo you would still have to adjust... right? depending on what your playing..

also.. YOU set the OM1. you dont install it and it just "shows clipping".... its still on YOU

(My OM1 on the right......., and again.. you STILL set it up, like using a DD1 or Scope, using a over lap or not.... soooooooo you still need to have some brain)

If your music is all set to the same level then what's the fucking problem?

Seriously man you are making this way more complicated than it needs to be.

K.I.S.S. ( Keep it simple stupid)in case you didn't know.

I never thought this thread would turn into the shit-show it has. I made the assumption people knew what the MP3Gain or similar programs were when I made the post.

The question I have is pretty simple now that you understand what I'm trying to ask: If my music is at 89dB, and I'm trying to tune my gain overlap on my amps to -5dB, then wouldn't it make sense that my test tones should read 84dB in the program that I use? I verified this by downloading a bunch of random test tone groups, and the results showed exactly what I thought. You can see those results in my second post of this thread.

So if you know all of your music is set for exactly 89dB, why use the -5dB test tone? The purpose of using lower dB tones to set gain is to account for the fact that music isn't created the same, so you can have the quieter songs be a little louder when you need them to be, and the louder songs can be turned down to prevent damage to equipment.

maybe my post was too terse. :fool:

Well no, but it only mentioned a negative dB overlap. That still didn't/doesn't answer my question of what actual dB rating it needs to be at. Saying tune your amp to -5dB overlap is relative to what the original dB rating (at 0dB) is. If you have a 103dB recording (0dB), then -5dB will be 98dB. That is still way above what all of my music is at: 89dB.

If your music is all set to the same level then what's the fucking problem?

Seriously man you are making this way more complicated than it needs to be.

K.I.S.S. ( Keep it simple stupid)in case you didn't know.

I never thought this thread would turn into the shit-show it has. I made the assumption people knew what the MP3Gain or similar programs were when I made the post.

The question I have is pretty simple now that you understand what I'm trying to ask: If my music is at 89dB, and I'm trying to tune my gain overlap on my amps to -5dB, then wouldn't it make sense that my test tones should read 84dB in the program that I use? I verified this by downloading a bunch of random test tone groups, and the results showed exactly what I thought. You can see those results in my second post of this thread.

So if you know all of your music is set for exactly 89dB, why use the -5dB test tone? The purpose of using lower dB tones to set gain is to account for the fact that music isn't created the same, so you can have the quieter songs be a little louder when you need them to be, and the louder songs can be turned down to prevent damage to equipment.

I understand that, but all my research has shown the overlap is to protect between playing say George Straight vs decaf (terrible examples) but basically a song that has some bass to a song that is pretty much made for bass. That's what I thought overlap was there to protect, was a bass-heavy song coming in and overpowering or distorting your setup.

Whether your song actually reaches 0db(u) is completely up to the recording engineer. Digital recordings, in their own nature, cannot exceed 0dB(u). By matching your gain to a minus 5 db(u) tone, you're only bringing the threshold higher.

Cables and wires almost never fail; the terminations do.

I am curious who all else uses that program you speak of, makes me want to try it, my music is all over the place for quiet and loud, fuck!

yea, I was only curious about the OM-1 thing. Wondering if the differences you are talking about affected the reading on the OM-1, and/or maybe even the quality of the songs themselves. Take it for what it is though, i am noob.

I am curious as well, I can't be the only person in car audio that likes the music to be the same volume between tracks. Give it a download and try it with just a few songs and see how easy it is. Then once you see how easy it is, just select all your music and hit start then go to work, and when you get back it'll be done.

Archived