Decibel ratings for music

Whether your song actually reaches 0db(u) is completely up to the recording engineer. Digital recordings, in their own nature, cannot exceed 0dB(u). By matching your gain to a minus 5 db(u) tone, you're only bringing the threshold higher.

Yep, I understand how gain overlap works, but that's not what the thread was actually about. I have already decided to use a -5dB 40hz tone and haven't decided on 1000hz tone yet but somewhere between -10 and 0dB.

I think the original guys that started commenting didn't quite comprehend what I was asking. I know the post count is low and everyone likes to jump on the new guy, but maybe slow down and actually read my post for once. I have a ladder here in Austin if they ever feel like coming off their high-horses.

Whether your song actually reaches 0db(u) is completely up to the recording engineer. Digital recordings, in their own nature, cannot exceed 0dB(u). By matching your gain to a minus 5 db(u) tone, you're only bringing the threshold higher.

Yep, I understand how gain overlap works, but that's not what the thread was actually about. I have already decided to use a -5dB 40hz tone and haven't decided on 1000hz tone yet but somewhere between -10 and 0dB.

I think the original guys that started commenting didn't quite comprehend what I was asking. I know the post count is low and everyone likes to jump on the new guy, but maybe slow down and actually read my post for once. I have a ladder here in Austin if they ever feel like coming off their high-horses.

Id use the 0db with the 1k tone...

but,.. im on a high horse...

you need to not worry about what you are worrying about... and maybe read some yourself..

Yep, I understand how gain overlap works, but that's not what the thread was actually about.

We completely understand it you're just over complicating it.

If your music is all set to one point then pick what tone you want to use and use it then they will all have the same volume level right?

But no you want to ramble on about it.

No one was trying to be rude until you fired the first shot.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

]I never thought this thread would turn into the shit-show it has. I made the assumption people knew what the MP3Gain or similar programs were when I made the post.

The question I have is pretty simple now that you understand what I'm trying to ask: If my music is at 89dB, and I'm trying to tune my gain overlap on my amps to -5dB, then wouldn't it make sense that my test tones should read 84dB in the program that I use? I verified this by downloading a bunch of random test tone groups, and the results showed exactly what I thought. You can see those results in my second post of this thread.

So if you know all of your music is set for exactly 89dB, why use the -5dB test tone? The purpose of using lower dB tones to set gain is to account for the fact that music isn't created the same, so you can have the quieter songs be a little louder when you need them to be, and the louder songs can be turned down to prevent damage to equipment.

I understand that, but all my research has shown the overlap is to protect between playing say George Straight vs decaf (terrible examples) but basically a song that has some bass to a song that is pretty much made for bass. That's what I thought overlap was there to protect, was a bass-heavy song coming in and overpowering or distorting your setup.

Off topic a little, but George Straits "Give It all We Got Tonight" knocks some decaf out of the water. Made me chuckle.

That is what it's there for. But what I'm wondering is if you have every song set equally, what do you need overlap for? I'm just kind of missing the point of this thread now... You wanted to know the dB rating of the DD-1 test tones right? And you found them. I think -0dB was 82dB or something. All of your music is set at 89dB. So either find a clean 89dB 40hz tone and set gains, or use the DD-1 0dB tone and cut the gain back a little more. (That sounds right in my head)

Just use the cd, they chose the available tracks for a reason.

So what you are saying is you are too lazy to use the volume knob?

better yet?

just turn the gains to full? right?

Quoted in case you forgot what you wrote. I posted serious questions and I get this in return? And for the record, your comment of "use the CD" is wrong. You can be a smartass all you want, but in the end you didn't help answer this question at all. This thread would have been a lot shorter had you never responded with smartass comments.

Yep, I understand how gain overlap works, but that's not what the thread was actually about.

If your music is all set to one point then pick what tone you want to use and use it then they will all have the same volume level right?

Just use the cd, they chose the available tracks for a reason.

So what you are saying is you are too lazy to use the volume knob?

better yet?

just turn the gains to full? right?

Quoted in case you forgot what you wrote. I posted serious questions and I get this in return? And for the record, your comment of "use the CD" is wrong. You can be a smartass all you want, but in the end you didn't help answer this question at all. This thread would have been a lot shorter had you never responded with smartass comments.

i can have all those deleted.. no problem...

]I never thought this thread would turn into the shit-show it has. I made the assumption people knew what the MP3Gain or similar programs were when I made the post.

The question I have is pretty simple now that you understand what I'm trying to ask: If my music is at 89dB, and I'm trying to tune my gain overlap on my amps to -5dB, then wouldn't it make sense that my test tones should read 84dB in the program that I use? I verified this by downloading a bunch of random test tone groups, and the results showed exactly what I thought. You can see those results in my second post of this thread.

So if you know all of your music is set for exactly 89dB, why use the -5dB test tone? The purpose of using lower dB tones to set gain is to account for the fact that music isn't created the same, so you can have the quieter songs be a little louder when you need them to be, and the louder songs can be turned down to prevent damage to equipment.

I understand that, but all my research has shown the overlap is to protect between playing say George Straight vs decaf (terrible examples) but basically a song that has some bass to a song that is pretty much made for bass. That's what I thought overlap was there to protect, was a bass-heavy song coming in and overpowering or distorting your setup.

Off topic a little, but George Straits "Give It all We Got Tonight" knocks some decaf out of the water. Made me chuckle.

That is what it's there for. But what I'm wondering is if you have every song set equally, what do you need overlap for? I'm just kind of missing the point of this thread now... You wanted to know the dB rating of the DD-1 test tones right? And you found them. I think -0dB was 82dB or something. All of your music is set at 89dB. So either find a clean 89dB 40hz tone and set gains, or use the DD-1 0dB tone and cut the gain back a little more. (That sounds right in my head)

This is the type of reply I was looking for, thank you for that. This is how I saw it in my head as well and I wanted to run it by the forums, but that was a mistake.

And I wouldn't even have made this thread, but for some reason the SMD CD won't open in my computer. I planned to rip the CD files to my computer and run an analysis on them to see the dB rating of them, but it wouldn't even register in my CD drive for some reason. I could have avoided this entire thread, and the reason for making it was to see if anyone knew the dB rating of the SMD CD.

What doesn't make sense to me is how the 0dB track could only be ~82dB. If music today is recorded much higher, then that track should also be much higher. I'm not sure how you found that but I don't believe it's the correct measurement.

Archived