Could it be my alternator?

First of all, i think the problem is likely with the charging issue with your car. Get that shit figured out.

Dumb question, but it hasn't been asked yet. You were doing all of this comparing between your friend's car and yours. Were you using the same box, subs, etc in both tests?

Yeah i think its with the charging system too, thats what im trying to figure out in this thread.. and not the same subs, but was the same amp both at same ohm load, both set with same dd-1 track

even with comparing the cars aside, i think i should have better voltage than i am seeing

Fi Team 18's (4)
Crossfire 16k
Crossfire 400.4 & 800.4
Pioneer AVH-X491bhs
140ah cmax
CES 320's (2)

The box and subs COULD make a difference to be honest. Box efficiency and different subs could be what is causing the issue, although not likely. I just wanted to know mainly if you were doing an EXACT apples to apples comparison. Did you check the wiring at the amp with a DMM to confirm you were indeed wired at .5 ohms?

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

Well... No more sp4. Wired down to half ohm for testing and played 35hz tone for a bit and the tinsel leads burned up and caught the spider on fire... But! Did get some testing done before and it's strange to me.

Rpm at 2300, full tilt, front battery holding 14.2 steady, back batteries dropping to 12.2. Why would the back batteries be draining, but not the front?

When clamped, alt wire is reading 60a, clamped at the amp power wire, reading 170a

Fi Team 18's (4)
Crossfire 16k
Crossfire 400.4 & 800.4
Pioneer AVH-X491bhs
140ah cmax
CES 320's (2)

Well... No more sp4. Wired down to half ohm for testing and played 35hz tone for a bit and the tinsel leads burned up and caught the spider on fire... But! Did get some testing done before and it's strange to me.

Rpm at 2300, full tilt, front battery holding 14.2 steady, back batteries dropping to 12.2. Why would the back batteries be draining, but not the front?

When clamped, alt wire is reading 60a, clamped at the amp power wire, reading 170a

subs are trash anyway... burn em down

You have something going on with the front to rear runs. Double and triple check your fusing.

Your alt doing less at 2k, than your rear bank is giving is fucked... your shit is fucked.... its fucked.

Why? Did you contact mechman (I believe that's who you said you got the alt from) to see if there's something they can do?

Well for one, I would like an sub a lot more than a trunk car. And 2, I have talked to mechman, but in order for them to do anything, I have to pay a shop to take out my alt (it's buried in my engine) send it in and have no car for a while, then pay to get it put back in.

Fi Team 18's (4)
Crossfire 16k
Crossfire 400.4 & 800.4
Pioneer AVH-X491bhs
140ah cmax
CES 320's (2)

The 240AMP alternator has close to no output at idle, your crank shaft pulley and alternator pulley diameter will determine what output you get at a certain RPM. A lot of companies put a pulley smaller than 2 inches on there to get the most output they possibly can at idle which could lead to possible belt slip issues as well because there just isn't enough tension on the alternator. A 180 amp alternator would perform better at idle than your 240 amp unit.

Archived