I busted off some plastic trim on my tailgate, so I bought new panel clips and want to know what you guys thing this black stuff is.

It's slightly squishy and stuck to the metal so well that I can hardly pry if off. It's clearly used to keep the panel clips in. Some kind of epoxy? Butyl?

11391121_10155530687475408_6677084266904

Avalanche

Alpine Type S comps

Alpine Type S 10''

Alpine MPR-F300

Alpine MRX-M50

Mechamn 270

XS Power d3400s

i think its just Tar...

many people uses it here for aero ports fixation

2010 Chevrolet Cruze

Radio --- pioneer mvh-200vbt

Front/back --- alpine type s 6.5"

Sub Control --- Pac LC1

Sub Amp --- GZPA 1.4K

Sub --- GZNW 15XSPL D1

Battery - GZBP 12.2500X

looks like urethane. possibly glued there to hold a clip that was loose...common when a glass tech breaks a clip that will hold the panel stiff and doesn't want the customer to know.

edit: not saying that happened, but I use to see it all the time

AA-Atomic-Clif Designs-DC-Diamond-Digital Designs-Directed-Eclipse-Fi-Hertz-Hifonics-Kenwood-Memphis-Phoenix Gold-Pioneer-PPI-PSi-Stinger-Sundown-TC Sounds-Viper-Zapco

looks like urethane. possibly glued there to hold a clip that was loose...common when a glass tech breaks a clip that will hold the panel stiff and doesn't want the customer to know.

It's on all of the clips, so I doubt its just a fix. You might be right that its urethane.

Avalanche

Alpine Type S comps

Alpine Type S 10''

Alpine MPR-F300

Alpine MRX-M50

Mechamn 270

XS Power d3400s

It's on all of the clips, so I doubt its just a fix. You might be right that its urethane.

sorry to hear it's on all of them....once the metal is activated, it sucks to remove. hopefully they just squirted it in there and didn't take the time. If it's activated, it bonds well with the metal and you'll have to scrape it off. needle nose pliers, a gasket scraper, and some patience man

AA-Atomic-Clif Designs-DC-Diamond-Digital Designs-Directed-Eclipse-Fi-Hertz-Hifonics-Kenwood-Memphis-Phoenix Gold-Pioneer-PPI-PSi-Stinger-Sundown-TC Sounds-Viper-Zapco

Could use a tube of seam sealer from the parts store, it sets up pretty quick and dries pretty quick. I used it to fix a giant ass cutout in my trunk from the previous owner.

*06 330i - Sundern x12 - saz-3500*

*91 Foxbody V1 S-Trim Notch*

sorry to hear it's on all of them....once the metal is activated, it sucks to remove. hopefully they just squirted it in there and didn't take the time. If it's activated, it bonds well with the metal and you'll have to scrape it off. needle nose pliers, a gasket scraper, and some patience man

Heat gun? Or would that just make it a mess?

Avalanche

Alpine Type S comps

Alpine Type S 10''

Alpine MPR-F300

Alpine MRX-M50

Mechamn 270

XS Power d3400s

Heat gun? Or would that just make it a mess?

wouldn't really do anything man....give it a couple pries with the pliers and see if it releases.

Archived