Second Skin Audio

Two amps or one?

As you may have read, I am getting back into big car audio after almost 20 years outta the game. I competed regionally with a SQ Dodge Intrepid back in the day. At 47, my hearing is failing, so SQ is not my goal with a new build. I was to turn my daily driver into a ground pounder. It's a 2004 Trailblazer.

After getting a demo from a bud with 2 SQ HDS312 D4's on a SQ Q1-1200.2, I already know I'm going with the same subs in a ported enclosure. The 2 subs my homie is running are D4's wired to a 1 ohm load on the amp. I want more power than he's got, so my thought process is this- 2 HDS312 D4's on a SQ Q1.2200.2 ( 1ohm load on the amp) or 2 Q1-1200.2, each running a single HDS312 D2 at 1 ohm. Or, alternately, one D4 sub per amp, wired to 2 ohm at the amp.

Don't try to talk me outta the SQ products- that decision has been made. I want advice as to which would be louder. I want bass that makes my teeth rattle. I know the amps will run cooler at 2 ohms as opposed to 1 ohm. Amplifier lifespan is kind of important as I have budget restraints. Any advice will be appreciated. Build log to follow.

I speak with direct experience on this as it is my setup. I have two hds312 D2's running at 2ohm on a soundqubed 3500.1 (2600@2ohm) and I love it. Can't wait to get two more and run the amp at 1ohm. But, if that is something you'd be interested in, I believe there's still one or two SQ 3500.1's floating around in the for sale section, close to brand new. If not, then I would go with the two 1200.2's wired to 1ohm each

Honestly, sounds like a good match. Even being a more "budget" line, they can take some abuse.

I would personally do a 3500 on 2 HDS300's series. You dont have to use the full potential of the 3500, but you might want to have it on tap for later if you want to jump to HDC3's. I would personally do whatever so it can be wired @ 1 ohm.

29408240963_9908a51930_o.png
Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's]

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/

Budget restraints (usually) mean lowest rated impedance. Not many can afford to buy an amp twice the size they "need" just to run higher loads. Although... that would be ideal for efficiency and longevity.

More smaller amps are more headache and more cost though. Stick with the biggest single amp you can afford. You won't hear the difference between the 2200 and a pair of 1200's anyway. And you save yourself over 100 bucks.

Archived