Second Skin Audio

Airspace of support walls?

mbdblue

Probably have been asked already, but I didn't see it in search....

I've been seeing more and more box builds using "support or stiffening" walls inside that have designs and shapes cut out of them...not just your typical threaded rod or 2 inch dowel. I'm guessing it changes frequency and airspace in the box but how is it calculated? Can't use the full sheet dimension since it has pass thru holes in it...or does it have such little effect it doesn't matter? Guess you could subtract the dimensions of the cutouts from your airspace calculation...

I was always taught the less obstruction you have inside the box, the better air flow will be, not to mention port noise. But it seems these are the exact opposite. Any insight would be cool since I'm considering trying it out...especially cuz it adds a cool effect through a plexi window

AA-Atomic-Clif Designs-DC-Diamond-Digital Designs-Directed-Eclipse-Fi-Hertz-Hifonics-Kenwood-Memphis-Phoenix Gold-Pioneer-PPI-PSi-Stinger-Sundown-TC Sounds-Viper-Zapco

You can't calculate everything, I know a lot of people make multiple test boxes or the start the port waaaaay too big and then make the port smaller as they tune up.

Also some people just want a pretty box.

If you want to have a strong box without taking up space using wooden dowels or threaded rod use fiberglass resin it works great for support.

If your wondering how tuning is affected by bracing you just subtract the volume taken up by the brace which should increase the tuning.

03 Sable LS

AA mayhem 12" D2

Sundown ZV4 12" D1

Tantric HD 12" D2

Tantric SHD 12" D1

Sundown X12 V2 D2

2.5 cu net

Sundown 2000d @ 1 ohm

XS Power XP2000

Sky High Sound Deadener

Sky High wire

Stock alt

Sounds like you are talking about window bracing?

Yes, technically it obstructs air flow slightly but usually the gains you see from bracing far surpass the few tenths you might lose from the obstruction of air.

It's all a matter of finding the perfect balance. If you want to calculate the displacement you'll just have to do the math. Paper tuning won't change with bracing except for any change in tuning due to airspace displacement.

Team NorthWestSPL

Are you talking about box bracing? If so, like this?

FB_IMG_1435853553506_zpsf21hzz0v.jpg

2002 Honda CR-V
Alpine 9887

My Build

Rebuilding...

Second Skin Damp
4 DC XL 15's
2 DC 5ks
Singer 320 amp
6 cap banks
Sky High wire
2 VM-1's
OM-1

all under window line

Team DC Audio

Obama has a law he's trying to pass right now, trying to ban Leo for being a threat to children everywhere.

EDIT: Not in a JP kind of way.

I thought I was going to die from all the jizz filling my ears.

Are you talking about box bracing? If so, like this?FB_IMG_1435853553506_zpsf21hzz0v.jpg

Yep that's what I mean Leo....but sometimes it's a lot more panel and less cutout. Just weird to me how I feel airflow was always stressed and now it seems like its not a big deal.

AA-Atomic-Clif Designs-DC-Diamond-Digital Designs-Directed-Eclipse-Fi-Hertz-Hifonics-Kenwood-Memphis-Phoenix Gold-Pioneer-PPI-PSi-Stinger-Sundown-TC Sounds-Viper-Zapco

^I mean, airflow is still important. The braces should be cut out like that with large windows. It is important to round over the windows as well and generally design the brace for optimum air flow.

If you've seen someone bracing with whole panels with tiny holes for windows they are fucking up lol

Team NorthWestSPL

If you build your boxes in SketchUp it makes it very easy to find out how much volume the braces take up. Its a little work, but SketchUp fixes a lot of design problems before they happen.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Try hometheatershack.com, they have a bracing calculator with round cutouts or square to figure out displacements if you plan on using them....

Try hometheatershack.com, they have a bracing calculator with round cutouts or square to figure out displacements if you plan on using them....

here is the link http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/enclosure-volume-calculator/

Archived