Inetba Posted July 11, 2015 Report Posted July 11, 2015 If this is considered A vs thread, please let me know and lock it. I'm looking for which 18" sub would be best for the 20-40hz range. I recently heard two 3518s on 5k watts tuned to 18hz and this thing was stupid awesome. Moved air for daaaays. A guys hoodie looked like he was in a wind tunnel. He offered to sell the woofers to me for an absolutely killer deal, but I would like to keep my eyes open. I was kinda looking into DC audios XL 18 because it has a lower Fs and higher VAS. I know tuning is related to the enclosure, but I'm worried about unloading at the 20-30hz range. I am an open book awaiting your collective knowledge.
ToNasty Posted July 11, 2015 Report Posted July 11, 2015 It's all in the box ***Super Sellers List***http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/25829-super-sellers-buyers
Inetba Posted July 11, 2015 Author Report Posted July 11, 2015 I've read that you play a sub too low it can "unload"? How do I avoid unloading?
SLYentist Posted July 11, 2015 Report Posted July 11, 2015 I've read that you play a sub too low it can "unload"? How do I avoid unloading? tuning the port properly and not playing too far below tuning Cables and wires almost never fail; the terminations do.
Joe X Posted July 11, 2015 Report Posted July 11, 2015 Using the subsonic filter prevents overexcursion below tuning (any tuning) but you can also get overexcursion above tuning not as easy but it can also happen.
Inetba Posted July 11, 2015 Author Report Posted July 11, 2015 How do I calculate the f3 of a woofer? I've read that f3 is the "danger zone" and that f3 is usually below fs.
ToNasty Posted July 11, 2015 Report Posted July 11, 2015 In my opinion you are thinking to much about this ***Super Sellers List***http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/25829-super-sellers-buyers
Inetba Posted July 11, 2015 Author Report Posted July 11, 2015 In my opinion, I completely agree. I usually spend way too much time thinking and not nearly enough time doing.
SnowDrifter Posted July 11, 2015 Report Posted July 11, 2015 Tune low to play low. Big box and cone area is you friend ~~~~~~~~SAY NO TO PHOTOBUCKET~~~~~~~~ Snow's DD-1 tracks here: https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/167433-snows-dd-1-tracks/ My take on OFC vs CCA: https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/110381-things-that-piss-you-off-in-the-car-audio-world/?do=findComment&comment=2461444
SnowDrifter Posted July 11, 2015 Report Posted July 11, 2015 Oh yeah and I've found subs with more motor force helps too. Don't really have any hard evidence to support it, purely anecdotal. But I've found subs with bigger motors seem to fare better in low tuned boxes than ones that don't. Seem to have a flatter frequency response and can maintain output as you play lower and get closer to tuning ~~~~~~~~SAY NO TO PHOTOBUCKET~~~~~~~~ Snow's DD-1 tracks here: https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/167433-snows-dd-1-tracks/ My take on OFC vs CCA: https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/110381-things-that-piss-you-off-in-the-car-audio-world/?do=findComment&comment=2461444
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.