Sundown Audio

Best true 2000-3000 watt 1 ohm stable amp for under 400

akuma4u

you won't get much love here for hifonics...I've used them in the past...no complaints, but I have since upgraded to Sundown... :yahoo: you get what you pay for...they are affordable though.

can u explain to me exactly what the problem is with hifonics amps and why other amps like sundown are better?

ive also run hifonics before and it did its job , but then again, ive never used any of the other "better" brands before either so i cant do a comparison.

would be nice to know how the other brands differ so i can justify paying more..

Droppinhz just started carrying these.

A little over budget but likely they best deal you are going to get for that power level.

http://www.droppinhzcaraudio.com/sound-magus-vs3500-1-high-performance-class-d-5-ohm-stable-mono-bass-amplifiers/

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

You won't get a 3000w amp that's true for that price unless it's used. Even a 2k will be hard to get new at that price. Closest thing at that price is soundqubed 2200.2 I believe. I think it tested 2139w at 1ohm (13.xVDC) or somewhere around there in the Real World Amp Tests thread on this forum.

would 2100 rms be enough to run a zv3 15 daily? ive heard that sub needs at least 2500 but then others said rated is fine so im just left confused lol

and what about hifonics amps? they are affordable but not sure if they put out true power?

You can never go wrong with giving rated power to a sub that's worth anything. Even under powering it by a couple hundred watts, it'll still have good output given the right enclosure.

Hifonics has been seen to come up short on amp dynos by a hundred or more watts of what they rate them at. But having never used them, I won't say much more than that. I won't use them, because I agree, you get what you pay for. I use a similar budget friendly brand (soundqubed) which is the same way. You get what you pay for. But I like it, so I use it. It meets my budget.

TL;DR, find what meets your budget, you get what you pay for, save up a little more for amps shown to do rated and more (via amp test Tuesday and other dyno videos)

Keep in mind you can't hear the difference between 1500 and 2000 watts, and will even have a hard time telling 1500 from 2500 watts.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Keep in mind you can't hear the difference between 1500 and 2000 watts, and will even have a hard time telling 1500 from 2500 watts.

what? are u for real? i cant tell the difference from an extra 500-1000 watts rms??

if thats true then i might as well just stick to the 1500 watt amp i have now and underpower that sub by at least 250rms..

i can understand not being able to hear the difference between 1500 and 1800 rms, but 1500 to 2500?

what? are u for real? i cant tell the difference from an extra 500-1000 watts rms??

if thats true then i might as well just stick to the 1500 watt amp i have now and underpower that sub by at least 250rms..

i can understand not being able to hear the difference between 1500 and 1800 rms, but 1500 to 2500?

Yeah that's how it works. When you double your watts the max increase in output you will get is 3 db. In practice its unlikely you will even get that much.

3 db is the smallest increase in output that most people can notice. Going from 1500 to 2500 won't even get you 2 db.

3 db = sounds ever so slightly louder

6 db = sounds quite a bit louder

10 db = sounds twice as loud

There is nothing wrong with "under powering " subs IMHO. When listening to music your subs are almost never going to get anywhere near the full power your amp can put out anyway, that doesn't mean they still won't get loud though.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Yeah that's how it works. When you double your watts the max increase in output you will get is 3 db. In practice its unlikely you will even get that much.

3 db is the smallest increase in output that most people can notice. Going from 1500 to 2500 won't even get you 2 db.

3 db = sounds ever so slightly louder

6 db = sounds quite a bit louder

10 db = sounds twice as loud

There is nothing wrong with "under powering " subs IMHO. When listening to music your subs are almost never going to get anywhere near the full power your amp can put out anyway, that doesn't mean they still won't get loud though.

sry im still wrapping my head around this.. cant believe that going from 1500 to 2500 will not make any diff in output..

for this sub in particular it needs 1500rms but upon research a lot of forum members said that they had to give it at least 2200-3000 watts to perform properly, so if there is no difference in output from giving it its rated power of 1500 then why do they have to give it so much in order for it to sound good?

here is the link to the thread that im talking about:

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/165628-z-v3-recommended-power/

"i have my zv3 on a skar 1500. it sucks ass. id say atleast 3k on this sub." - ToNasty

The audible difference is what triticum is referring to. The amount of force that the increased power will make the sub move with will be noticeable, thus moving more air and MAYBE metering a couple dB's higher. But our ear-o-meters won't detect the difference, except for imagining it's louder because we added more power.

500 watts you might not notice but you'd more than likely notice going from 1500 to 2500.

Although you would be better of going with two subs rather than overpowering one sub.

They rule of thumb is it needs to be a 3db increase for humans to be able to perceive it as louder but I've found that to just not be true.

You'll also see systems that put up lower numbers be way more brutal physically than systems doing bigger numbers.

You have to also realize the reason why people are able to "overpower" their subs is because all the rated power of the amp is not actually ever being seen in most cases due to many things.

Unless you are competing just play it safe and get an amp that does around rated rms of them sub.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

500 watts you might not notice but you'd more than likely notice going from 1500 to 2500.

Although you would be better of going with two subs rather than overpowering one sub.

They rule of thumb is it needs to be a 3db increase for humans to be able to perceive it as louder but I've found that to just not be true.

You'll also see systems that put up lower numbers be way more brutal physically than systems doing bigger numbers.

You have to also realize the reason why people are able to "overpower" their subs is because all the rated power of the amp is not actually ever being seen in most cases due to many things.

Unless you are competing just play it safe and get an amp that does around rated rms of them sub.

ok well the amp i have now is a 1500 watt hifonics which prob does maybe 1300 in reality maybe a lil more i dunno i never seen any am tests to this amp. its an x1500.1 brutus from 2014

so if i upgrade to a 2200 rms at 1 ohm to a quality amp im going to be increasing the rms 900 or so.. i think 900rms extra power would deliver a noticeable audible increase plus power the sub and make it perform better than under powering it? amirite? so in shorter words, its better to go more than less..

also.. i can wait and see and try out the 1500 watt amp and see how it sounds first, if its good then great no need for new amp, and if its lacking and as they say "begging for more" (which i really have no way to tell when a sub is begging for more, how do u even figure that out?) i can just upgrade and buy a 2200rms or so quality amp.

Archived