rumblefish Posted July 31, 2015 Report Posted July 31, 2015 So after saving and researching for a year, I finally ordered these. They should be here today. Taking a break from worrying about subs. Anyway, those of you that are familiar with these know I dropped some coin.(At least in my world), and I would like to use them to their full potential. I'm hoping some of you have experience with them. They are going in an 02 Tahoe. The midbass will be mounted in the stock locations in the doors. It appears that Hertz suggests Apillar or sail panel mounting for the tweets. If I decide on the Apillars, I will try different locations before mounting. What I'm trying to determine is whether or not I should even consider mounting them in the factory locations in the doors. The doors have received the full SDS treatment. My amp is a Sundown 100.4. I can go active if needed, but I'm really leaning towards staying passive so I can bridge the amp and give them around 360 watts per side. Any advice would be appreciated. I asked this question on a sound quality forum and was chastised for asking questions about equipment I had already purchased. I don't think it's a silly question, but if it is, just let me know! 02 Tahoe, pioneer 880, quart qsd 216's, skar vvx 12's, sundown sax 100.4 and 1500dv2
baron_of_bass Posted July 31, 2015 Report Posted July 31, 2015 So after saving and researching for a year, I finally ordered these. They should be here today. Taking a break from worrying about subs. Anyway, those of you that are familiar with these know I dropped some coin.(At least in my world), and I would like to use them to their full potential. I'm hoping some of you have experience with them. They are going in an 02 Tahoe. The midbass will be mounted in the stock locations in the doors. It appears that Hertz suggests Apillar or sail panel mounting for the tweets. If I decide on the Apillars, I will try different locations before mounting. What I'm trying to determine is whether or not I should even consider mounting them in the factory locations in the doors. The doors have received the full SDS treatment. My amp is a Sundown 100.4. I can go active if needed, but I'm really leaning towards staying passive so I can bridge the amp and give them around 360 watts per side. Any advice would be appreciated. I asked this question on a sound quality forum and was chastised for asking questions about equipment I had already purchased. I don't think it's a silly question, but if it is, just let me know! I'd put the tweeter in the location of the stock one. You get the best sound when everything is closer to each other. Team Bass-Hz
rumblefish Posted July 31, 2015 Author Report Posted July 31, 2015 Thanks for your input. 02 Tahoe, pioneer 880, quart qsd 216's, skar vvx 12's, sundown sax 100.4 and 1500dv2
evermaxx Posted July 31, 2015 Report Posted July 31, 2015 I personally wouldn't give them that much power.. It's a tad much for them. Team Subsonic Lows Get your garbage EMF products of my amp bitch Man....it makes a nice work bench
rumblefish Posted July 31, 2015 Author Report Posted July 31, 2015 Oh really? I was under the impression these guys loved power. Really curious as to whether 100 x 4 would do them justice running active. 02 Tahoe, pioneer 880, quart qsd 216's, skar vvx 12's, sundown sax 100.4 and 1500dv2
jcarter1885 Posted July 31, 2015 Report Posted July 31, 2015 I would run them active, tweets on front channels and mids on rear channels. Depending on your headunit, you can grab a mini dsp for cheap that you can use to set up your front stage. Nav-TV Zen V Audio Interface AudioControl DM-608 (2) Stevens Audio Neo-Comp Full-Size Horns (4) Faital Pro 6PR160 6.5" AudioControl LC-6.1200 (1) Fi Neo 4.7 15" D2 in 3.74 Cubic Feet @ 27.70 Hz Ampere Audio AA3800.1 Odyssey ODP-AGM48 Battery (Starting) Odyssey ODX-AGM31 Battery (Trunk) Big 3 - 2\0 Welding Cable, KnuKonceptz Speaker Wire & 1/0 Power Cable, NVX RCAs, Second Skin (Speaker Tweaker Pads, Damplifier Pro Mat), Diode Dynamics LEDs
rumblefish Posted July 31, 2015 Author Report Posted July 31, 2015 I'm good on my head unit. Alpine 9887. Definitely active capabilities. 02 Tahoe, pioneer 880, quart qsd 216's, skar vvx 12's, sundown sax 100.4 and 1500dv2
Broke_Audio_Addict Posted July 31, 2015 Report Posted July 31, 2015 The increased power from running bridged likely wouldn't make them sound much louder if it all and would likely make them sound worse do to them being ran at a 2 ohm load. I'd do as the others suggested and run the mids on the front channels and tweets on the rear and ditch the passive crossover. That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.
bcbrassard Posted August 3, 2015 Report Posted August 3, 2015 100 watts for tweeters is to much IMO. And 100 watts for a mids is to little IMO. I hate that problem. Great speakers though and great amp. With a good Active capable HU it all should shine. Good luck and keep us posted.
rumblefish Posted August 3, 2015 Author Report Posted August 3, 2015 I must say I'm very impressed with the build of the woofers in this set. I ended up putting the tweets in the Apillars. Don't have much listening time, but they definitely sound good. Right now I'm just running passive. I am very tempted to give active a shot. You're right about the power. too much for the tweeter and not enough for the mid. 02 Tahoe, pioneer 880, quart qsd 216's, skar vvx 12's, sundown sax 100.4 and 1500dv2
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.