I have a ton of RC's ranging from 1/32nd to 1/5th scale... I have ran nitro, gas and electric... out of the three nitro has to be the biggest pain in the ass to deal with, just about everytime you run you will need to 'tweak' the motor.... Gas is great but the sticker shock of getting started in it can be rough, that and rather hard to find a bashing location due to the size... Electric is by far the easiest one to run, just one issue and that is the Lipo's can be pricey if you do not treat them with respect...

As a beginner I would have to push you towards the slash 4x4 or rally 4x4... And the reason for that would be they are REALLY hard to break and you can get them stupid fast for just a few extra $$$ The t-maxx/revo have their place but just too much to break on a simple oops... Also with the new AVS system it will help you keep things in a straight line...

If you go thru tower hobbies you can even break the payment into 3 monthly parts VS all at once... Good luck with what you decide to run and just have a blast...

Any questions just hit me up, Have been in the hobby for a year or two... OK so more like 20+ years... haha

Thanks man. I appreciate all the input. I was looking at the Stampede, but they don't have a 4x4 verison in nitro. Really looked into going electric too, but I've always loved the idea of having a stupid loud RC car that went fast too. That's kinda why I decided on the T-Maxx over anything. The 3.3 is actually a 1/16th scale versus the Classic which is a 1/10th scale.

You saw a typo or something, t-maxxes are all 1/10 scale.

T/E-maxx is 1/10

They do have a smaller version of the E-revo and that is 1/16th

When I did the .21 conversion to my T-Maxx most people called it a super 1/10th scale

If it's worth building, it's worth over building.

image_zps27zlqdnx.jpg

Electric all the way gas sucks ass

I have a ton

Hpi mt2 the 3.0 then replaced it with the 4.6 big block motor lol I'm a retard. It was so fast haven't used it since and it just sits plus gas is wayyyyy to finicky one thing goes out then the next

Had a old team associated 2wd trophy truck back when they were low and wide

Little 4wd mud truck

That has monster ^^^

Then just bought a traxxas summit with a brushless motor setup. If I had to do it over again do the

Traxxas summit with the stock dual motor conversion then it's still completely submergable like stock, my particular brushless combo isn't, but honestly I don't really care, the dual motor crawling and trq would be better over the brushless and it's mostly what I do now; mud was a used to thing cleaning the car like that sucks

Electric hands down better only thing you have to worry about is stripping gear if you have a beast brushless setup

SCSB

Santa Cruz Speaker Box

Build logs:

Daily Driver Lemon Marquis

2 american bass 750.1s

350.4 on 14 focal 6.5s

sq 945 on 4 hertz tweeters

Mystery subs peepwall.gif

http://www.stevemead...__fromsearch__1

The Mustang 'dubbed' Shirley the project from bullet holes to badass

http://www.stevemead...cond-skin-time/

If you like tuning carburetors get a nitro.

Unless you understand the 2 needle carb you won't have any fun.

All the tuning info is available online. There is a steep learning curve with running r/c nitros. Finicky is an understatement. It's easy enough info to learn and find online, but it takes a bit of knowledge to keep a nitro rig running.

I never got into nitro but I run electrics.

I have a rustler Vxl and a friend who was getting out of the hobby just gave me a summit and a e-revo that need a little fixing up.

My daughter has a hpi wheely king and she loves it to death.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

I never did much with cars, but I did a lot with planes and boats. Used to run a lot of nitro planes but I've pretty much switched all over to electric. So much less hassle, more time flying. There used to be a big performance disadvantage with electrics but between lipo batteries and brushless motors they perform just as well, if not better. I wouldn't go anywhere near a nitro anything if it was just getting into the hobby now.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Exactly right about the gas vs electric now!!!

Gas just can't campare anymore

SCSB

Santa Cruz Speaker Box

Build logs:

Daily Driver Lemon Marquis

2 american bass 750.1s

350.4 on 14 focal 6.5s

sq 945 on 4 hertz tweeters

Mystery subs peepwall.gif

http://www.stevemead...__fromsearch__1

The Mustang 'dubbed' Shirley the project from bullet holes to badass

http://www.stevemead...cond-skin-time/

Nitro definitely can not compete with good modern electric rc's.

That being said I wouldn't mind getting a 1/5 scale gas powered rc.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Well I went and talked to the local hobby guy and I think I have decided to go with electric over nitro after our conversation. Discussed run times, tuning, running in cold weather, etc. Pretty much touched on everything. I'm gonna end up now with a Traxxas Stampede 4x4 VFL Brushless and then I'll be purchasing a 3 cell LiPO and the charger for it. I can get that whole mess of stuff from Tower Hobbies for $480. He quoted me $600. Tower Hobbies actually has a bunch of coupons for the month of August and if you spend $459 you get $50 off so thats where I got the $480 from. Pretty stoked about it really. He also said that if something were to happen and I did break something 95% of the time he will have it in stock because that is the truck he sells the most of.

Don't jump right into Lipo and I'd go with a 1s or a 2s In that truck or you'll make it not fun to drive.

Also the faster you go the more stuff you will break.

And trust me you will break stuff

Archived