Second Skin Audio

Dodge Ram 1500 subwoofer port placement?!

Deeznutz

Ok, So I did not dismantle the Image Dynamics IDQ12 ported enclosure I originally made for the Camaro. I was actually going to keep, paint it, through a piece of tempered glass on it and make a coffee table out of it. Lisa liked the idea. lol. It does look pretty cool.

Anyway, I went ahead and removed the rear panel from the Ram truck to start taking measurements for an enclosure. I threw the subs and enclosure into the truck. Had the enclosure in the middle of the truck behinds the seats. The bass was ok, but not like in the Camaro. Huge difference. Even my neighbor noticed the difference.

The port was about 8" from the side panel.

IMAG1609_zpsenhyofq9.jpg

So I slid the box to the drivers side. Now the port is 4" from the panel.

IMAG1608_zpsqdvap7lr.jpg

The driver's side has so much more bass, and less bass on the passenger side. I moved the box to the passenger side, same thing. More bass on the passenger side. Less on the driver's side. We kept switching seats, my neighbor noticed it as well.

What the hell?? I thought as long as you left the port unobstructed you were golden. Why the difference in compression of the port as it hits the panel that is appears louder?? I heard of varying acoustics in a car trunk, but in a single cab? That's odd.

I already paid Ram Designs to sketch me up a 4th order blow through for the RF RFR3115's. I hope this 4th order design does not run into this port placement issue I am encountering now. I just wanted a little bass for Devin to tool around til I make the Ram enclosure.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

-Frank

You will have to do a lot of experimenting with distance. You will eventually find a sweet spot. Should be fine with a blow through. You notice a big difference with just a standard ported box and port distance from loading wall.

The proper placement for the port is coming in through a hole you cut through the bed and cab.

Blowthrough is the only way.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Sebring, since it's dual sub enclosure. I so wanted to cut it down the middle and make 2 halves and experiment that way. I should have enough scrap wood to make 2 1.32cf boxes and experiment like you said. The difference with this whole loading wall thing is interested. I've never run into this problem before. Well, now that I think of it, the Jimmy, the bass from the 15's is great, but since the subs and port point up, I wonder if I should have made the port hit the tailgate to reflect off of it. Too late now. Wow, interesting!

B.A.A. I can not wait for Ryan to come through with the design.

-Frank

In the jimmy subs up port back would have made a huge difference.

I know from first hand experience.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

here my setup in 02 3rd gen ram its louder on the passenger side but the port on driver

02 dodge ram 1500 reg cab 3rd gen

2 sundown sd-2 d4

soundstream rub1.2500 amp

all sky high car audio-fuse,fuse holder,wire,ring lugs and rca

flex tech

box design by Joe X

supension-mcgaughys 2in drop spindal ,western chassis 6in flip kit,buddy custom c-notch

04 5.7l hemi motor swap and made it an slt eletric everthing

youtube channel-http://www.youtube.c...43?feature=mhee

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/190882-02-dodge-ram-1500-3rd-gen/

Sebring, since it's dual sub enclosure. I so wanted to cut it down the middle and make 2 halves and experiment that way. I should have enough scrap wood to make 2 1.32cf boxes and experiment like you said. The difference with this whole loading wall thing is interested. I've never run into this problem before. Well, now that I think of it, the Jimmy, the bass from the 15's is great, but since the subs and port point up, I wonder if I should have made the port hit the tailgate to reflect off of it. Too late now. Wow, interesting!

B.A.A. I can not wait for Ryan to come through with the design.

-Frank

I would suggest just keeping it one box. I don't see you gaining anything from splitting the box and having a port firing on each side. I don't have any experience with a truck though. If you have the scrap would and time to build said boxes then feel free and let us know what you decide.

And yes, subs up port back would have been your best bet in the Jimmy. I had a box subs back port back in my old Explorer and it got down, but would have been louder had I rebuilt the box and did subs up port back. Box was also a touch small for the power I was running so I had a few things working against me.

Archived