Second Skin Audio

Coil Burn

Lakeshow94

Where do you get your music and what quality? Have you by chance tried FLAK files?

amazon music, itunes, etc.

1999 Lexus GS 300

Pioneer DEH-80PRS

Singer 240 Amp (Will be installed later)

Northstar Group 31 & 24

Sundown SCV-4000

Rockford T400-4

2 12" CT Sound Meso

CT Sounds 6.5 Meso Components

CT Sounds Tropo 6.5

Well i tuned at -2.5 and ran it for about 30-40 minutes with no issues so far. Gonna continue to see how it does but that may have been the fix. Could the difference between -2.5 and -5 make that huge of a difference?

1999 Lexus GS 300

Pioneer DEH-80PRS

Northstar Group 31 & 24

Sundown SCV-4000

Rockford T400-4

2 12" CT Sound Meso

CT Sounds Tropo 6.5

If your heavily over powering your woofers, or the music is slightly clipped.

Yes it could make that big of a difference, it maybe a little quieter on a spl meter if you where to test, but something that the ear wont notice too much if at all.

Definitely good info. Just ran around for another 30-40 minutes and its still staying good n cool. Kinda makes me wonder what the sub could do on more power....... but im not gonna risk it and find out haha.

1999 Lexus GS 300

Pioneer DEH-80PRS

Northstar Group 31 & 24

Sundown SCV-4000

Rockford T400-4

2 12" CT Sound Meso

CT Sounds Tropo 6.5

98 camry, 160 amp ho singer alt, stinger 0 gauge, rockford t1500 at one ohm, ct sounds meso 15", interstate battery mt7-r, xs d975, 3.25 cubic foot box tuned to 31. I've been running the sub for about a month. Set gain with dd-1 at -5 db. On a regular day going to work or school (15 minutes), it plays just fine. Drove for an hour or so the other day, and there was a strong smell of coil coming from the port as well as the dustcap was pretty hot. Any ideas what the cause would be? or could 1976 rms at 14.4 (one ohm on birthsheet) be too much for the meso?

This is very simple. You are feeding the woofer power faster than it can dissipate the heat. Either buy a woofer with a larger coil or turn it down when it starts to get smelly.

Well i tuned at -2.5 and ran it for about 30-40 minutes with no issues so far. Gonna continue to see how it does but that may have been the fix. Could the difference between -2.5 and -5 make that huge of a difference?

2.5dB difference is almost double the power, so yeah, a pretty big difference.

I doubt its power. The me so 15 is a 2000 RMS woofer. Many people run far more at those. Broke audio addict and fanatics had the right idea.

1999 Lexus GS 300

Pioneer DEH-80PRS

Northstar Group 31 & 24

Sundown SCV-4000

Rockford T400-4

2 12" CT Sound Meso

CT Sounds Tropo 6.5

I doubt its power. The me so 15 is a 2000 RMS woofer. Many people run far more at those. Broke audio addict and fanatics had the right idea.

Yes, it is power and only power that makes heat. If OP is clipping he is getting more power than he thinks, if the sub isn't moving much cooling is reduced, but at the end of the day he's putting in heat faster than it can shed it. Just because somebody has an amp rated for "far more" power doesn't mean that they're ever delivering anything near rated power to their sub(s).

I don't know how you define "2000W" woofer? Is that, hook it up to an amp rated 2000W and count on impedance being well above nominal? Is it playing pink noise or a Johnny Cash CD? Or is it running out and buying a Young Jeezy CD or other "music" with a bass line that's basically a 3 minute sine wave?

Look at Sundown's ratings for example, they are based on 50hz sine wave of that much clamped power IIRC at least 10 minutes straight.... essentially "retard proof". Testing and rating accordingly ensures that you won't get a lot of warranty claims and if you do you can be 99.9% confident that it was abuse that killed the speaker.

Archived