Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

Coil Burn


Lakeshow94

Recommended Posts

Posted

I doubt its power. The me so 15 is a 2000 RMS woofer. Many people run far more at those. Broke audio addict and fanatics had the right idea.

Yes, it is power and only power that makes heat. If OP is clipping he is getting more power than he thinks, if the sub isn't moving much cooling is reduced, but at the end of the day he's putting in heat faster than it can shed it. Just because somebody has an amp rated for "far more" power doesn't mean that they're ever delivering anything near rated power to their sub(s).

I don't know how you define "2000W" woofer? Is that, hook it up to an amp rated 2000W and count on impedance being well above nominal? Is it playing pink noise or a Johnny Cash CD? Or is it running out and buying a Young Jeezy CD or other "music" with a bass line that's basically a 3 minute sine wave?

Look at Sundown's ratings for example, they are based on 50hz sine wave of that much clamped power IIRC at least 10 minutes straight.... essentially "retard proof". Testing and rating accordingly ensures that you won't get a lot of warranty claims and if you do you can be 99.9% confident that it was abuse that killed the speaker.

What I meant is in my situation I doubt its excessive clean power. From my understanding/experience this sub can handle more than 2000 clean watts. I think my biggest issue was clipped/dirty power. Audibly my system doesn't seem that much quieter, although the dust cap went from getting too hot to touch, to now fairly cool/slightly warm after I play for awhile. I plan to get a scv 3000d in the future and I'll see how that does on this sub.

1999 Lexus GS 300

Pioneer DEH-80PRS

Singer 240 Amp (Will be installed later)

Northstar Group 31 & 24

Sundown SCV-4000

Rockford T400-4

2 12" CT Sound Meso

CT Sounds 6.5 Meso Components

CT Sounds Tropo 6.5

Posted

Enclosure size plays a huge role in power handling for woofers especially if your over powering the crap out of them, if thats the case usually a smaller box is needed to compensate for the added power.

so many people don't know this.

Just cause your buddy ran 3k on a sub in a box that is 3cubes, doesn't mean that same sub will take 3k in 5cubes.

Posted

Clipping not only can cause an increase in power (up to double in some cases) it causes the speaker to sit still in those flat spots which in turn causes it to not cool properly.

So yes clipping is causing the damage by overpowering the speaker.

More power + less cooling= a bad day to be a speaker.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Posted

Enclosure size plays a huge role in power handling for woofers especially if your over powering the crap out of them, if thats the case usually a smaller box is needed to compensate for the added power.

so many people don't know this.

Just cause your buddy ran 3k on a sub in a box that is 3cubes, doesn't mean that same sub will take 3k in 5cubes.

Yea alot of people tend to forget that. or power handling in a sealed vs ported enclosure. My box is a little on the small side for a 15, 3 cubic feet. I eventually might go for a nv3 nightshade 15 and I'll do a 4.25 or something close to that.

1999 Lexus GS 300

Pioneer DEH-80PRS

Singer 240 Amp (Will be installed later)

Northstar Group 31 & 24

Sundown SCV-4000

Rockford T400-4

2 12" CT Sound Meso

CT Sounds 6.5 Meso Components

CT Sounds Tropo 6.5

Posted

Clipping not only can cause an increase in power (up to double in some cases) it causes the speaker to sit still in those flat spots which in turn causes it to not cool properly.

So yes clipping is causing the damage by overpowering the speaker.

More power + less cooling= a bad day to be a speaker.

good way of explaining it. Didn't think of the flat notes in that respect. Any idea what a fair asking price is for a used t1500? only been running it for a few months on good electrical. I want to eventually go up to a scv3000d but don't have a spare 800 to spend at the moment.

1999 Lexus GS 300

Pioneer DEH-80PRS

Singer 240 Amp (Will be installed later)

Northstar Group 31 & 24

Sundown SCV-4000

Rockford T400-4

2 12" CT Sound Meso

CT Sounds 6.5 Meso Components

CT Sounds Tropo 6.5

Posted

I'd give you $250 for it right now.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Posted

I'd give you $250 for it right now.

nah I just spent 800 on it a few months ago. If I cant get 400-500 out of it I'll just hold onto it until I can save enough for a scv3000. I still like the amp, just want a little more juice. I'd rather wait to put it in a future vehicle than take a big loss. thanks for the offer though

1999 Lexus GS 300

Pioneer DEH-80PRS

Singer 240 Amp (Will be installed later)

Northstar Group 31 & 24

Sundown SCV-4000

Rockford T400-4

2 12" CT Sound Meso

CT Sounds 6.5 Meso Components

CT Sounds Tropo 6.5

Posted

Good luck, the t2500's go for between 500-600 used.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Posted

Good luck, the t2500's go for between 500-600 used.

Damn didn't realize value dropped that much on those. never really messed with the used market on stereo stuff. always sold shit for cheap to friends. ill probably just hold onto it, I'll find something to put it in.

1999 Lexus GS 300

Pioneer DEH-80PRS

Singer 240 Amp (Will be installed later)

Northstar Group 31 & 24

Sundown SCV-4000

Rockford T400-4

2 12" CT Sound Meso

CT Sounds 6.5 Meso Components

CT Sounds Tropo 6.5

Posted

Yeah audio gear takes a huge hit when selling used.

The big killer is you can get those amps way cheaper than what you paid new.

I paid $500 new for the one I had.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 3349 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...