Second Skin Audio

'10 Taurus Enclosure Opinions--4th vs. 6th

sebringR/T

Currently running 2 12" DC XLs on a DC 3.5k in my 2010 Taurus. Buddy of mine (Trent Choate) just did a 6th order build in his Monte Carlo with 1 12" XL on a 1.2k. I'm very impressed buy it and it makes me wonder what it would should like on a 3.5k so I was kinda thinking about attempting it. I've also entertained the idea of a 4th order build with both of my XLs on the 3.5k. So my question is...which do you think would be better? Pros and cons, any info is appreciated.

6th order bandpass boxes are nightmare to design properly. Most of the ones out there aren't done correctly, for that reason. Was your friends a parallel tuned or series tuned box?

Is your car a trunk car or a hatchback?

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

6th order bandpass boxes are nightmare to design properly. Most of the ones out there aren't done correctly, for that reason. Was your friends a parallel tuned or series tuned box?

Is your car a trunk car or a hatchback?

Tuning I have no idea. He had his buddy design it for him and then he built it. If it's designed for him he can build it. He's done the boxes for the DH S10 and Jeff Smiths Xterra.

My car is a trunk car. There is a link to my build log in my signature if you wanna take a look.

Your seats fold down? If so, just do regular ported sealed off from the trunk. Much easier and minimizes your chances of having to rebuild.

"Clipping" is the biggest forum boner now. It's like witchcraft... it automatically explains just about everything people don't understand.

My build log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/200295-gckless-2011-chevrolet-impala/

High resolution photos: Gilbert Kless Photography

+1 to what gckless said

If your seat folds down you have nothing to gain by using a bandpass box.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Your seats fold down? If so, just do regular ported sealed off from the trunk. Much easier and minimizes your chances of having to rebuild.

+1 to what gckless said

If your seat folds down you have nothing to gain by using a bandpass box.

i see both of your guys point and yes you guys are truly right... ported box will kill a band-pass enclosure if seats fold down. but then you have guys like me that hate having to bring down the seat to get good bass. and that is when i love band-pass enclosures ported thru the rear deck. aka sleeper setups.

op but dont mean to derail your questions.. 4th orders with a good design will sound great but you may loose alot of dbs they are also picky to some subs. generally they do not give a better bandwidth but boost instead at certainty frequency then start to drop off after your tuning, they are also very efficient power wise. those are my thoughts and experiences with 4th orders

6th orders i still have never heard one or got to play/build one..

Archived