Jump to content

Upgrading Mids and Highs.


Polar

Recommended Posts

Posted

Good afternoon. Im a bit lost on mids and highs and asking for some help. I currently have Alpine Type E 6.5 components with tweets I mounted on my pillars. The amp I am using is a PPI black Ice 1000.4. I am currently only using 2 channels in my Ford Ranger. Id like to upgrade to something with a bit better SQ. These Alpines sound horrid when I listen to any other music than rap/hip hop. I do listen to heavy metal, and a lot of reggae/ska with a lot of brass in it. I guess I am trying to replicate the crisp sound I get out of my speakers I have at home which are some Boston Acoustics, they sound stellar! Should I go the component route from say, Soundqubed or Crescendo, or should I be looking more into pro audio type drivers? Another question I have is can I run super tweets off on channel of the amp and the mids on the other? The amp has 2 individual cross over settings, gain controls etc. Thanks

2000 Ford Ranger Sport Ext

Digital Designs DD915J

4.91 net birch box, inch port @ 33hz

FSD FZ2600

FSD FZ100.4

Pioneer DEH80PRS

PRV Audio 6MB200-4 6-1/2" Midbass Woofers

Tymphany BC25SC08-04 1" Silk Dome Neodymium Tweeters with Waveguide

Posted

Sound quality and super tweets do not go hand in hand. Nor does Crescendo or Soundqueb. For a good sound set of components look at JL Audio Zr series, Hertz HSK XL series, Focal, Morel etc all will have a better quality sound then pro audio. Pro audio is loud and thats about it.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/garage/vehicle/2438-jeep-commander/


th_140x100square.jpgMechman_140x100px.JPGDCHome.jpgI

image_url-76414-1423274612_thumb.jpgimage_url-76414-1423320284_thumb.jpg

Pioneer P99RS
Ampere 3800
2-Ampere 125/4
4-6.5 inch Hertz HSK XL Mids
4-8 inch JL Audio ZR Midwoofer

2-5.25 Satori Mids
2-Morel Tweeters, 2 Hertz Milles 3 inch on A pillars
2-Hertz Silk tweeters
DC Audio Level 5/12
Skyhigh Wire
Mechman 320
XS Power D3100

MO Funniest Thread of the Year 2013: http://www.stevemead...dy-being-a-pos/

Posted

Sound quality and super tweets do not go hand in hand. Nor does Crescendo or Soundqueb. For a good sound set of components look at JL Audio Zr series, Hertz HSK XL series, Focal, Morel etc all will have a better quality sound then pro audio. Pro audio is loud and thats about it.

All sets of those will cost over 400 dollars for his power range. He's obviously looking for something cheaper if he's looking at cendo or cubed

Posted

I love my Crescendo Mezzo components but they took a little tuning to get right. The tweets are a bit strong but overall great sound and volume.

Pro audio typically will get louder though, I used to have the Crescendo pwx6.5 and loved them, little weaker mid bass but i was lazy on the install too.

As far as running tweets on other channels, yes you can. That amp has a high pass filter up to 4500hz. So channel 1 & 2 could be tweets, channel 3 & 4 are mids.

Posted

Yes, not looking to dump a ton into this. I must have been confused as to what I felt pro audio meant too.

2000 Ford Ranger Sport Ext

Digital Designs DD915J

4.91 net birch box, inch port @ 33hz

FSD FZ2600

FSD FZ100.4

Pioneer DEH80PRS

PRV Audio 6MB200-4 6-1/2" Midbass Woofers

Tymphany BC25SC08-04 1" Silk Dome Neodymium Tweeters with Waveguide

Posted

OP...just depends how serious you are...the good stuff ain't cheap, and the cheap stuff ain't good. You really do get what you pay for. Settle for something less for now, or save up and do it right! Check the classifieds and hit peeps up for used product as well. Best of luck! :good:

2007 Chevy Aveo Ls sedan

2 Sundown Xv2 on scv4k @ .5 ohm

2 pair RE XXX 6.5 components on sax200.4 @ 2 ohm

Big Three, Three runs 1/0 power from front to back, 1 ground front to back

Two runs ground from rear bank to chassis

XS power d3100 upfront, 3 Odyssey 2150s in bank

Singer 220 amp alt

Posted

If you want good sounding speakers look at Dayton Audio from Parts Express. Great sounding also. Madison sound has great speakers also.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/garage/vehicle/2438-jeep-commander/


th_140x100square.jpgMechman_140x100px.JPGDCHome.jpgI

image_url-76414-1423274612_thumb.jpgimage_url-76414-1423320284_thumb.jpg

Pioneer P99RS
Ampere 3800
2-Ampere 125/4
4-6.5 inch Hertz HSK XL Mids
4-8 inch JL Audio ZR Midwoofer

2-5.25 Satori Mids
2-Morel Tweeters, 2 Hertz Milles 3 inch on A pillars
2-Hertz Silk tweeters
DC Audio Level 5/12
Skyhigh Wire
Mechman 320
XS Power D3100

MO Funniest Thread of the Year 2013: http://www.stevemead...dy-being-a-pos/

Posted

Lots of people say good things about the ppi 3-way component set and at $229 I wouldn't call it expensive.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 1164 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...