Second Skin Audio

Who all makes 6.5" subs?

scooter99

Ok so of the few I've looked into, these are the 4 I've done specs on. Now, admittedly I don't know what the hell I'm looking at half the time on specs, but I'm looking at size, power, and price at the moment.

20151013_140948.jpg

Specs seem pretty similar. DD has the only Dual VC although that's not a huge deal I don't think.

I like the price point and the power handling of the Massive. Although, it is the siziest one of the 4. It comes in at just over 7" of outer diameter. Really it's only a half inch difference. SO it's not a huge deal. I do have box specs from their website. So I'll need to do some figuring on my application to see if I can make that work. Even at MSRP the $119 price tag is significantly less than the DD.

The issue I see with the JL, which may or may not be an issue, is the significantly lower power specs. It's also a significantly lower enclosure recommendation. So I don't know what all that means. Maybe it's the most efficient one on the list, and for my thoughts maybe it fits the bill simply for the smaller enclosure. I know JL is quality for the most part, but I also know they have a tendency to be on the pricier side of things too. Even looking around I've not really found one lower than $150.

I don't have an issue so much with American Bass, I've never actually owned anything of theirs. I don't have any input on that one yet. Price is pretty good. I'm not sure where they're at on the enclosure size portion of things though. I can't seem to find anything "recommended" on it. So I'll have to do some figuring on that and see if I can come up with something.

Right now, if it fits, the Massive Summo64 is on the top of the list considering price point. It seems pretty comparable to the DD, with exception of the Dual VC and the 300 vs 400 peak power. Not that that is a huge thing. The enclosure recommendation is a little larger. But I like the looks of it too, which is a selling point for me too.

That's what I have so far.

I also don't want this to turn into a VS. thread either. So I want to be careful of that. I'm just trying to see what's out there.

N8 and the boys, if this is too borderline, please let me know and I'll end it.

I just picked up a DD SW6.5, and for a 6.5 I'm really impressed. It will play down to mid 20s really well. Haven't tried it in a car yet but I'll probably throw it in my trunk and meter it here soon. Just need to borrow the TL sometime.

Saw this Lil driver at the house the other night. It's a nice nice driver.

And here's the other thing I'm thinking about. I could easily do something like a center console enclosure with a single 10 or 12. I have a brand new 10 sitting at home ready for me to do something with. HOWEVER, that would be the run of the mill everyday thing that most everyone in my situation would do. I don't want to be like that.

Hell maybe at the end of the day I may try that too, or try both and see what happens.

But I want to be a bit different. Everyone has 8's or 10's or in some cases I've seen 12's under their rear seat, or a few subs in a center console. I would love to do something behind the seat, but there just isn't room.

I just want everyone to know where i"m coming from on this.

Kyle know's what's up. We've had many a text conversations where he's like "why don't you just do this and not be difficult". Right Kyle?! And what's my response always been? I wanna be different than everyone else.

That's all. I do appreciate everyone's input and information. It's all being looked at and considered. Thank you to you all!

I agree with kyle. And I get what you're trying to do. But I'd use what I have and just see how that works (the m38s and ampere 2k you have) you are working with limited space (I did a little system in my buddies 04 6leaker) there is one room anywhere. You could lift the seat with a peice of unistrut or c channel

Yeah .8 cu for the one, and about 1Kw amp. So the last click or two on the volume knob don't get used....ever. But it plays low, and loud. Right around 45hz it gets obnoxious.

Still experimenting with it, I'll most likely give a smaller enclosure a try.

Here is another 6.5" sub option for you:

http://www.diysoundgroup.com/anarchy-woofer/anarchy-8ohm.html

It has 12 mm xmax and decently low QTS, making it more appropriate for ported box use. The one I linked is the 8-ohm version, but it also comes with a 4-ohm coil.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Archived