windows 10 not recognizing CPU change *Fixed*

pretty much what the title says. i changed out my processor from a dual core athalon to a quad core phenom, and windows wont recognize it. i did a CMOS reset and BIOS recognizes the new CPU, but i cant get windows to see the quad core. it keeps saying im running the athalon. the pc works, thats what im using to type this. any tips or ideas on getting windows to see the new CPU?

This page is crispy_chick3n approved.

© crispy_chick3n inc

You may have to download AMD drivers. Run windows update, or go to device manager, right click on your PC and "Scan for changes"

2007 Pacifica
Rebuild. Less quiet. Still not loud.

I would do the jumper clear again no need to remove the battery. Then check bios on mobo see if it can be updated. Possible AMD drivers as someone said. Check in bios settings also and make sure it has the right multiplier and speed (in the bios settings not post screen.)

Under Construction

ok so cpu-z, and the BIOS both see the processor just fine. ive done the CMOS reset once again, but windows wont update the info. here is what im getting

20151027_211032_zpsupnotsnm.jpg

IMG_20151027_210001_zpsdkytoltz.jpg

20151027_205705_zpsuwvxrofs.jpg

btw i have no idea what im doing with cpu-z. ive never used the program before

© crispy_chick3n inc

CPU-Z is just informational. But you're on the right track.

Go into device manager, right click on your computer at the top of the tree and select "Scan for new hardware"

W10 should load the latest AMD Driver. I vaguely remember having to do this when I got a 8 core proc.

2007 Pacifica
Rebuild. Less quiet. Still not loud.

i scanned for new hardware and this is what i got

20151027_215608_zpsoyltmxpg.jpg

correct me if im wrong, but if it were a situation where the bios needed updating/ compatibility issue the computer wont post and boot. going to try and check for updates under windows update real quick

edit: no available updates at this time

© crispy_chick3n inc

Archived