Sonic Electronix

Components. The end

Explain why.

Coaxial speakers can sound just as good or better than components given the proper tuning.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

I'll be more specific about my application based off of placement. Either way the speakers are going to be placed in the dash. So tweets and woofers side by side on the dash or as one. I want to do 8s in the doors 6.5 coax in the rear for fill and either 5.25 or 6.5 in the dash whatever I find a good deal on. I want to run an audio control pre amp crossover. 4 channel on the front and rear 2 channel on the doors. Or instead of the 2 channel a 4 channel to split the tweets using the previous amp method versus a passive crossover.

As a rule coax's generally get the short end of the stick when it comes to componentry.I wouldn't call what they use to deal with frequencies a crossover in my opinion so they tend to be on the low end of things.Where as component sets tend to get higher end tweets and cross over networks etc.As with most rules there are exceptions but for the most part but most components tend to have better quality hardware to start with. Even if components are lesser quality you can usually make up for things with proper staging and setup and even ditching passive crossovers to go active so you can EQ out some of the effects of subpar speakers whereas with a coax your'e stuck with what you have for the most part.

Even when customers have wanted a coax type install for reasons like leased cars,not wanting to drill holes in panels etc I used to talk them into installing components with a bracket we made called a "tweeter bridge" that allowed us to mount a tweeter using the mids mounting holes to hold the bracket that was milled from aluminum and loosely followed the cones shape.I wish we wouldve got a patent on them back then but oh well lol.

Now days there are some very nice coax's that with a little work could be made to sound pretty good if you want to hack them up and go active but they are few and far between.

When comparing to cheap ass coaxials of course a component set should have the advantage but there is a lot of high end coaxials out there these days and even some very nice convertible components that can be used as a coaxial but have the benefit of a nice crossover.

Once you ditch the passive crossovers and run active the playing field changes a lot though.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

I have never had luck with coax and I have had my fair share. This is opinion but with a component set, staging properly.will beat a coax set

Not quite true as the Hybrid Audio Imagines are a component and also a coax, but as many have found out the coax works better than placing the tweeter away from the mid as you would in a component set up.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

Pretty much with a coaxial you have a single speaker. You close your eyes and you know where that speaker is placed. You have a comp set mids in the door tweeters in pillar (how I have it) you can't really tell were the speakers are placed , if you understand how I'm explaining it

Archived