Second Skin Audio

Air Space Needed?

RyanRosier

But arent there some really major differences in SQ with a sealed vs ported? Don't you have to have more power through a ported to hit the same SPL with a Sealed?

2003 Chevy Silverado Reg Cab. Rockford Fosgate 500a2 and Kicker ZR240 each on their own 12" Kicker Comp S. Small, but everyone's gotta start somewhere.

But arent there some really major differences in SQ with a sealed vs ported? Don't you have to have more power through a ported to hit the same SPL with a Sealed?

Properly designed, ported boxes can actually have better SQ than a sealed box does due to less cone excursion. It all depends on the particular application though.

If you can run two subs, that is definitely going to get you a lot more output then just one. So that would be my recommendation.

If you stick with one sub, you can always just add a partition inside the box to decrease the amount of space the sub in it while keeping the external dimensions the same.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

So how in the world do I design a good ported box

either download torres or find a good online port/box calculator and keep punching in numbers when you get something ask for input and keep tweeking.... IMHO if you do a ported box at or slightly above RF's recommended specs and tune it around 33hz you will be happy.... too low you lose output / too high and it unloads and catches fire.... 33hz is like that perfect bowl of chilli

I didnt even think about the build a large box and section it so its not large....would totally work if you dont care about wasted space... why does she want such a large box... that would take away from room for shopping and shoes? LOL

So with either a sealed or ported, what does facing the subs towards you do.

I have a regular cab truck and all I've ever worked with is just that, subs facing the seats, box as big as I can get, and then subs that will fit in the mounting depth. So that's why I am dumbfounded with anything to do with a car.

2003 Chevy Silverado Reg Cab. Rockford Fosgate 500a2 and Kicker ZR240 each on their own 12" Kicker Comp S. Small, but everyone's gotta start somewhere.

So how in the world do I design a good ported box

either download torres or find a good online port/box calculator and keep punching in numbers when you get something ask for input and keep tweeking.... IMHO if you do a ported box at or slightly above RF's recommended specs and tune it around 33hz you will be happy.... too low you lose output / too high and it unloads and catches fire.... 33hz is like that perfect bowl of chilli

I didnt even think about the build a large box and section it so its not large....would totally work if you dont care about wasted space... why does she want such a large box... that would take away from room for shopping and shoes? LOL

Okay so what about bandpass on this thing. I know those can hit super high spl.

Archived