WHAT SIZE alternator do i need for 5000 watt rms

Currently my 6.2l 2012 denali has a 140 amp alt.

My system will be 5000 watt rms

I have 2x 3300 amp xs power batteries

They have 0 gauge ofc wiring

I have 0 gauge ofc big three done

I've heard having to big an alternator is a bad idea because u won't put out any amps at an idle.

So my question is would it be better for me to have a 240 amp, 250 amp, or 270 amp with the current equipment.

Thank you for any advice

Mike

Depends on how many batts you want to purchase and keep charged lol. I agree with at least the 270. What you were told was wrong - ish. Conventional alts will not put out much at idle. If you want idle output look into hairpin alts.

Still learning but have started gathering.

A conventional alt will not do as well as a hairpin for many reasons but just because it's a hairpin, doesn't mean it's going to idle well. That's going to depend on your vehicle and its charging system.

That said, get a hairpin.

Singer Alternators

Team Asshole

#anothershittysingerbuild

seams like your worried about idel output, i would look into a dual alternator set up,

this is why with a 270 hairpin by it self your probably going to see low 12 volt numbers at idle reved up at maybe around 13-13.5v this is all fulltilt.

now with a dual alternator set up you will combine your stock alt to at your High Output alt, me personally i would get the biggest one you could fit(370 hairpin :wub: ), just for the fact you will idel with great power. and if you need some more you have plenty of reserve

https://www.dcpowerinc.com/gm-and-chevy-vortec-dual-alternator-kit-with-270-amp-xp-series-alternator.html

not sure if this one fits but it does say 6.2L...

so with that said do your own homework first call and check in

Archived