Sonic Electronix

12 inch woofer switch or no

:yahoo: Hello i'm new here and i apologize if this topic has been covered before. currently i have 2 12 inch type r one has ripped. i was told it would be best to replace them both. The shop that installed my alarm is suggesting Phoenix Gold Ti312d2 would this be a step up? Thank you or any suggesting in this price range would be appreciated i really have no clue when it comes to music and he is charging 360$ each.

You have a lot of options at $360 each. How much space do you have available(measure, don't guess)? Do you have a box already or are you willing to build one/get one built? What amp do you have? What music do you listen to?

"Clipping" is the biggest forum boner now. It's like witchcraft... it automatically explains just about everything people don't understand.

My build log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/200295-gckless-2011-chevrolet-impala/

High resolution photos: Gilbert Kless Photography

Thanks for your reply i have a 1970 El Camino custom built box Alpine 2 12" type r, 2 sets of component speakers, head unit Alpine CDE-HD 149BT, Alpine PDX-M6 mono amp, Alpine PDX-4.100 amp i tried uploading pictures not to computer savey. The box they built is 53 inches across, top to bottom 14 and a half inches, the top width is 6 inches, the bottom width is 12 inches. I see no holes of any kind. Thanks again for any responses and or suggestions.

Thanks for the response Clownrock95 no that's the design of the box but i saw it as they built it there were 2 individual boxes then attached together but in that design. Yes bmwking i can;t say that i was totally happy with the sound. I also did not want to buy 2 more type r and have the same result 4 months from now again. So i was concerned about replacing them over and over again. Thanks again are the Phoenix Gold woofers a good woofer?

They are a decent woofer I believe. But I wouldn't pay that much for them. There is too much out there better at that price.

Edit:

Let me ask this. Was it the sound quality you were unhappy with or the output (volume)?

Still learning but have started gathering.

Id say more of both i would really like to get a good thump out of my system. One of my buddies said i have great sounding inside music. Well i want great sounding inside and outside music my thing is i do not know music or brands. I grew up in the Bay Area in our hey day (youth) everyone had 4 12" woofers a Hifonics Zeus or Colossus and a Zapco board, woofers were held in a board no boxes so now in my latter years, i'am clueless but i do know i want that back in the day bump. So i hope that gives a good idea of where i would like to go with this. Again thanks and appreciate any suggestions.

If you really want to step it up, check out Fi car audio. The BL 12 would suit your needs very well.

But I see your amp for both type R's is a 600W Alpine amp, you could upgrade that to 1500-1800 watts and go from there.

Changing subwoofers in the same enclosure and same amp won't change that much in loudness. (especially since the Type R's are good for the price)

Thinking is the root of all problems...

You ALWAYS get what you pay for.

Thanks a lot for the reply and suggestion. My car is a rebuild 5 year project i saved the music for last. The music shop i used i really do not believe built my boxes to spec. i will not be using them again i kind of rushed when i chose them cause i wanted to drive my car. Now that it is winter i do not mind having it redone by the new shop i have and i have seen plenty of they're work and i trust them to do it right. i asked about speaker choice cause i do not want to buy another set again 4 months etc from now. Adding another 600 pdx is not a problem. This particular shop recommended the Phoenix Golds i have never heard of them so i asked here. I will spend 400$ each as long as i know they are the best i can buy at that price. i also have read about the JBL W12GTI MKII the reviews all look great. Any opinion of these or any other in the 400$ each range. Thank You

Archived