Sundown Audio

just bought a rockville rxd-m4 amp

Bayuk89

so how do you know the head unit is not clipping?

With out a DD-1 or oscope i honestly dont..... ive been told by a good few members running the kenwood excelon series HU that that can run 35/35 and its clean, others say 32/35 so to be safe i did it at 31/35 until i get the right tools to confirm. Im usually at 24-26 while driving, i dont blair my music everywhere i dont need the attention.

mine does not clip at all but it does not mean others will be the same.

i like how you ride though.. dont need to be full blast to enjoy your system. i dont like disturbing other people either

Agreed, ive asked best buy and other local audio install shops to see if i could use their OSCOPE or DD-1 and none of them have or use one, i ask how they set the amps and they told me with a DMM.... i will get either a DD-1 or hand help oscope in the next month or two and i will confirm or correct any settings and i wil know its properly done. Especially my SSF im tuned to 33 hz and i have it set at what i think 25-26 is but until i get a DD-1 i wont know for sure, hence why i listen at 24-26 volume. I do listen to how the subs play and by ear it sounds pretty close .

If you're wired to .8, why would your amp see 1 ohm?

Just a thought ? My 4ohm DVC subs dont measure exactly 4ohms, each voice coil show up at 3.7 to 3.8 each coil and each sub wired parallel shows up at 1.7-1.8 on my DMM so if each sub shows 1.8 on my DMM together its .8 to .9 not EXACTLY 1 ohm but the amp might see it at .8 or 1 ohm load who knows....... no 4ohm or 2ohm sub i ever bought was exactly 4 or 2 ohm its always been plus or minus .2 of the rating

Please just stop.

Wow dude........ hows that weather up there on that high horse of yours ? My response was to that joe guy saying his gain MIGHT be set too high causing his amp to overload or he might have a bad ground or power connection and go into protection mode... but u seem to go out of your way to call me out and try to make me look or feel stupid. My hats off to you man you did a great job :) i just though a "high ranked" member as your self that u might be alittle more humble and take pride in helping people gain knowledge in the audio world like you recieved when u were climbing the latter..... have a nice night

Im not a high-ranking anything, and know very little compared to some here. The problem I have with you "helping" is the bullshit like this (see highlighted post). Spreading that kind of gibberish to others who know even less than you is not "helping" anybody.

SMD Super Seller

My Feedback Thread

I mean if a shop does not have basic of basic install tools, they are not a shop I would frequent, spend my money at, or even ask for advice (because most likely they are BSing you 100%)

I work out of my garage at home and have over $2500 easily in testing tools such as multiple fluke/craftsman clamp meters,Fluke digital multimeter, dual sensor Term-Lab, SMD dd-1 - cc-1 - imsg - dd-1+, had a snap-on scope but sold it since I never had a use for it no longer...

DC resistance is not impedance, just throwing that out there. So what your DMM reads is DCR, not impedance.

If ur reffering to coil resistance they are un plugged from the amp and im using the ohm setting on my bluepoint DMM. Is that what ur mentioning ? My two subs are 4ohm DVC and wired parelle it shows .8 on my DMM on ohms setting

It is impossible to measure D/C resistance with a tool such as a digital multi meter that reads in A/C impedance..............

I need to do some google then because every youtube video and website i been on said to take your dmm and measure the coil resistance with the setting on ohms with the sub disconnected. If u have a 4 ohm coil and it reads 12,15,18 ect ohms that is a sign the coil is blown and shorted out but if u read.2 plus or minus of a coil rated at 4 ohms thens its good still. There is no power on the sub and its not in dc or ac setting just on ohm setting. I will look it up on what u guys are talking about because im confused..... i think we are on two different thoughts ?

i dont think a lot of people realize that speakers are run off of Alternating Current. They assume since there is a + and - it is DC. wish they would just label them differently.

Just a thought ? My 4ohm DVC subs dont measure exactly 4ohms, each voice coil show up at 3.7 to 3.8 each coil and each sub wired parallel shows up at 1.7-1.8 on my DMM so if each sub shows 1.8 on my DMM together its .8 to .9 not EXACTLY 1 ohm but the amp might see it at .8 or 1 ohm load who knows....... no 4ohm or 2ohm sub i ever bought was exactly 4 or 2 ohm its always been plus or minus .2 of the rating

Please just stop.

Wow dude........ hows that weather up there on that high horse of yours ? My response was to that joe guy saying his gain MIGHT be set too high causing his amp to overload or he might have a bad ground or power connection and go into protection mode... but u seem to go out of your way to call me out and try to make me look or feel stupid. My hats off to you man you did a great job :) i just though a "high ranked" member as your self that u might be alittle more humble and take pride in helping people gain knowledge in the audio world like you recieved when u were climbing the latter..... have a nice night

Im not a high-ranking anything, and know very little compared to some here. The problem I have with you "helping" is the bullshit like this (see highlighted post). Spreading that kind of gibberish to others who know even less than you is not "helping" anybody.

I will apologise for what i said, the 1 ohm reading .8 was irrelevent. I didnt realise why u responded the way you did but its obvious to me know and i agree.

Please just stop.

I will apologise for what i said, the 1 ohm reading .8 was irrelevent. I didnt realise why u responded the way you did but its obvious to me know and i agree.

I mean if a shop does not have basic of basic install tools, they are not a shop I would frequent, spend my money at, or even ask for advice (because most likely they are BSing you 100%)

I work out of my garage at home and have over $2500 easily in testing tools such as multiple fluke/craftsman clamp meters,Fluke digital multimeter, dual sensor Term-Lab, SMD dd-1 - cc-1 - imsg - dd-1+, had a snap-on scope but sold it since I never had a use for it no longer...

Best buy in my area does atleast 100 installs a week i bet. Most people go to have electronics installed by them i assume dont know about all the special tools they should have to make it right the first time. They just drop off the car and 6 hours later pick it up, aslong as it goes boom thats all they want. Regardless how its done, i was the same way till i got the support on here on how to do it properly.

Archived