Sundown Audio

just bought a rockville rxd-m4 amp

Bayuk89

I just had to check out some unboxing video's to see if it actually has the wrong CEA compliance on it. Seems that picture on their site is wrong, the actual box says CEA-2006.

CEA-2006 Compliance can be at different OHM ratings, but is usually done at 4OHM for the standard test from what i've found when looking for testing parameters:

http://rftech.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/199/~/cea-2006-amplifier-power-standards

I wouldn't expect much from a $150 amp... Aside from the poor marketing decisions to exaggerate numbers, it looks like a decent amount of power for that price range. Not sure about the life cycle of the amp since they have not been out for long. Looks like a fun starter amp though.

For me this will be a starter amp, my current set up is two infinity 10's in a sealed box being pushed by alpine m500 amp. Big 3 upgrade with 2 gauge welding wire. It's great for me but I got a deal on two quantum 15" subs. I'm building a custom box from specs another member gave me. 3.5 cu/feet each sub tuned to 30 hz so I figure a starter set of 15's on a starter amp for me to learn off.

It's funny how people always try to justify buying cheap stuff by saying they can't afford better or that the more expensive stuff is overpriced.

It's not hard to save, you guys just don't want to wait.

In most cases you absolutely do get what you pay for, there are absolutely exceptions to that though.

Not disagreeing with u because I agree 90% of the time u get what u pay for, for ME my first system was two 12" kenwood subs and 500 watt rockford amp, second system was two 10" infinity subs and a alpine 500 watt amp. All have been sealed boxes, i got a deal on basically two new 15" quantum subs. I never ran 15" before so this is a new style plus I'm doing my first ported box. I don't wanna spend a few grand on high end amp and subs if I'm not sure that I will like the 15"s. 10's 12's and 15's all have there own unique sound. Just like a 4cyl and 8cyl engine. I like the snap and response of a 10" I might not like the lag of a 15" so being $150 into an amp and $150 into two 15 " subs and about $100 in 3/4 MDF and misc. this set up will give me what I need to determine do I like the sound of 15's or go back to my 10's.......... we all started somewhere there is not a single person on this forum who started off with a $3k system we all came from average quality and grew into better electronics after we learned and was taught.

I like the replies on my post, good and bad in my opinion. The original BigDWiz review of this amp was good and 90% of the people commenting on his review on this forum was good. That is what made my decision to buy, it will work for me doesn't mean it will work for u. Be humble when helping other audio members out and not bash them cuz they didn't buy a $3k sundown amp. We all started from "average" quality then through research and help from others we learned about other styles and electronics. Thank you all for the input.

I like the replies on my post, good and bad in my opinion. The original BigDWiz review of this amp was good and 90% of the people commenting on his review on this forum was good. That is what made my decision to buy, it will work for me doesn't mean it will work for u. Be humble when helping other audio members out and not bash them cuz they didn't buy a $3k sundown amp. We all started from "average" quality then through research and help from others we learned about other styles and electronics. Thank you all for the input.

10s snap? 15s lag?

Please elaborate.

My friend has one 15" rockford sub in a 2.3 cubic foot sealed box pushed by an audio planet mono block amp. Not sure models or RMS on his set up. mine is two 10" infinity 1052w 250 RMS each. Both 10's being pushed by a alpine mrp-m500 amp in a sealed box 1.0 cubic feet each. We played the same song from my phone and my system seamed louder and response was tight and hard. His had a lag and wasn't as loud. This is not an apples to apples test so it isn't fair to compare. I had 20 in of cone area to move air and he only had 15in both systems are in extended cab trucks. It could have been his amp tuning it could have been a lot of things...... it was the first 15" I ever heard, everyone else I know run 10" and 12". So for me to buy two average quality quantum 15's and an average quality 1200-1500 rms amp so I can see if I like the sound of 15" woofers... I learned about car audio from people around me. I didn't have a neighbor or friend with a $5k sound system, I'm still learning, we are all learning cuz technology is always changing. No one here was born with this audio knowledge we had to waste money and make mistakes maybe have a humble member teach us a thing or two. The opinion of 10 being snappy and a 15 being "less" is just my opinion of the mechanics of the displacement. 10" being more responsive and wider range of sound frequency than a 15". Just my understanding from what I have learned....

It's all what you've heard as far as snappy or boomy, forming your opinion. I've got 12s that smash the low end and hit tight and fast on double bass on rock songs.

What you're hearing more than anything is enclosure and quality of the speaker. The size of the speaker doesn't make a damn bit of difference

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

My friend has one 15" rockford sub in a 2.3 cubic foot sealed box pushed by an audio planet mono block amp. Not sure models or RMS on his set up. mine is two 10" infinity 1052w 250 RMS each. Both 10's being pushed by a alpine mrp-m500 amp in a sealed box 1.0 cubic feet each. We played the same song from my phone and my system seamed louder and response was tight and hard. His had a lag and wasn't as loud. This is not an apples to apples test so it isn't fair to compare. I had 20 in of cone area to move air and he only had 15in both systems are in extended cab trucks. It could have been his amp tuning it could have been a lot of things...... it was the first 15" I ever heard, everyone else I know run 10" and 12". So for me to buy two average quality quantum 15's and an average quality 1200-1500 rms amp so I can see if I like the sound of 15" woofers... I learned about car audio from people around me. I didn't have a neighbor or friend with a $5k sound system, I'm still learning, we are all learning cuz technology is always changing. No one here was born with this audio knowledge we had to waste money and make mistakes maybe have a humble member teach us a thing or two. The opinion of 10 being snappy and a 15 being "less" is just my opinion of the mechanics of the displacement. 10" being more responsive and wider range of sound frequency than a 15". Just my understanding from what I have learned....

Ugh, cone diameter is not cone area. Your friend's single 15" has more cone area than your two 10"s do.

Saying things like 15"s sound "laggy" and 10"s sound "snappy" is a gross over-generalization. There are PLENTY of 18"s that are WAY more responsive than some 8"s or 10"s. It all depends on the particular sub and the particular system its used in. Also, you are basing your opinion on one example. Its like being used to driving a Chevy Astrovan and then driving a Ford Mustang once and then saying all Chevy's are slow and all Ford's are fast.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

It's all what you've heard as far as snappy or boomy, forming your opinion. I've got 12s that smash the low end and hit tight and fast on double bass on rock songs.

What you're hearing more than anything is enclosure and quality of the speaker. The size of the speaker doesn't make a damn bit of difference

I understand and agree, I only know what I have researched so far and what people have told me (opinions) my post was In reference to the rockville m4 amp I bought based on a fellow member (BigDWiz) buying and dynoing on a steve Meade dyno. His opinion and dyno result was good enough for me to buy and power my (new to me) 15" quantum subs. I have ALOT more to learn and understand on the technical side. All input (good and healthy criticism) is always appreciated :)

Archived