Second Skin Audio

Trunk...Fully sealed vs. firing forward/port driver's side...

Snppo 95

What's good, guys. I was poking around in the "sealing off trunk" search forums, and trying to find out, has any users on here ever experimented with BOTH forward firing setups; fully forward and sealed off vs. subs forward/port to driver's side/not sealed? I understand that it may be car dependent, but just wondering who has a particular car that has seen both setups. I hear the Cavaliers/Sunfires are almost always louder with the latter setup. I have not seen too many other vehicles with the latter. Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

Snoop.

I know its not the same thing but the box I built for my 07 explorer is sub rear port left with great results ... single 12 level 3 DC

Yeah, Explorers are very ideal vehicles for daily and/or SPL, trunk cars are a different animal. I have been out of the game for quite a while, as I used to compete in N.S.P.L. Pro Trunk and dB Drag SS 1-2 NW over 10 years ago, and am building a daily/demo trunk car. I may have to experiment with both setups myself before fully committing to fully sealed off, which was my initial intent. The car is a 2000 Accord 4dr.

I know when firing forward that pretty much all the setups sounded better when sealed off

Just my .02

Team MaxRetribution

Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
Id rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6

Bowhunting- Life Begins and Ends at Full Draw

Bowhunting Team Fatal Trajectory Hunt Team

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/49335-sick96vtecaccords-t-line-build/?hl=sick96vtecaccord << Accord Build

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/68498-smokedout08impalas-tline-build/?hl=+sick96vtecaccord << Impala T-line build

Rebassed.com for all your music needs 👌

Test before going full ham.

Some vehicles will loose sealing off. Some gain. Some like forward, some rear fire.

Most of the hard core number guys I've seen, it's push it as far back as possible, fire forward, into the cabin with a large aero, sealing the sides off.

Get your meter and go nuts. That's my plan anyway.

Some vehicles will loose sealing off. Some gain. Some like forward, some rear fire.

Most of the hard core number guys I've seen, it's push it as far back as possible, fire forward, into the cabin with a large aero, sealing the sides off.

Yeah, the plan/goal is mostly daily and demo (promoting the Ultra subs), but I am planning to jump in a class every now and then that the car will fit in at shows with whatever org is there and meter it for shits and giggles. I sold my Termlab back in 2006 when I retired, but am planning to get another one. The software has changed over the years, I'm hearing from a few people that the new stuff reads 1 to 3 dB tighter. But it'll be good and refreshing to start tinkering with a trunk setup again. The plan is to run two Ultra Audio cherry bomb 12's, two Tarapms HD 8k's running on one Lithium iron phosphate (for now) and a 320 DC alt.

Snoop.

Yeah, the plan/goal is mostly daily, but I am planning to jump in a class every now and then that the car will fit in at shows with whatever org is there and meter it for shits and giggles. I sold my Termlab back in 2006 when I retired, but am planning to get another one. The software has changed over the years, I'm hearing from a few people that the new stuff reads 1 to 3 dB tighter. But it'll be good and refreshing to start tinkering with a trunk setup again.

Snoop.

im with you. I get it.

If your just wanna bang, fire forward, and seal it off well.

You want to compete and care, from what ive been told and seen, its push it all back as far as you can, fire front, with a large aero, with the sides sealed off.

I may just be lazy and fire front, sealed off. Well see. I sold my old term lab, got a spl lab mic, sold that, and now have the new magnum mic.

I dont care if its off this way or not, because it will be for everyone, again, if you really care about your score, and follow your competition. I know how it can be.

I followed 3 people in my class more than i followed myself, to see what they where doing, and where i could beat them , or bow down to them. I know how it is. :)

That said, trunks can be a mother, and, if you need to know, you need to show. Get a meter, and get to work. Again, thats my plan here in a month or so.

Mine will be more demo freindly, but, i also have a "goal" in mind in bass race id love to get to.

Either way, i wish you the best of luck, and post your findings. ;)

this is what I did when designing my trunk build. I took a small sealed box for one 10" and kept the volume locked on the same number and ran test after test at 30hz from all different postions in the trunk, I would move the box drastically at first to see the jump in numbers then once I found the area and orientation I would move it 1" at a time until i found the magic spot, once the magic spot was found I tried to couple the port and subs as close to this position as possible. I tuned my enclosure to peak at 30hz thats why I played that particular note. I saw a 14db difference from the worst to best trunk location

DB DRAG PSYCHLONE PRO 156.3 30 SECOND AVERAGE FO MAX AT 26HZ

LEGAL DASH DRIVER DOOR OPEN 158.0@30 HZ

MY BEST SO FAR, HOPEFULLY A 160 COME FEBUARY.

156.9@26hz  158.0@30hz

I think I gained 2.5dB by sealing off and extending my port to the rear deck.

Definitely worth experimenting with :good:

This post sent with 100% recycled electrons.
2004 BMW M3
Mechman 280A
2 - XS Power XP3000

1 - XS Power D375

500F of Maxwell SuperCaps (soon to be 1000F)
iPadMini2

Dash mounted O-scope
Audison bitOne (Remote DRC MP)
Highs Amp - PPI Art A404
Hertz HSK130 (HSK165 waiting...)
DC Audio DC9.0K
2- DC Audio XL12m2

LEGAL             - 147.3dB @ 41Hz
OUTLAW         - 150.2dB @ 45Hz

OUTLAW         - 145.7dB @ 30Hz
JUNE 2014 SOTM WINNER

2014 COLORADO PEOPLE'S CHOICE WINNER

SOTM BUILD:
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/141656-wicks-e46-m3-build-bass-turbo-button-and-a-big-new-addition/page-68#entry2802026

sig-sized6_zps0265e669.png

this is what I did when designing my trunk build. I took a small sealed box for one 10" and kept the volume locked on the same number and ran test after test at 30hz from all different postions in the trunk, I would move the box drastically at first to see the jump in numbers then once I found the area and orientation I would move it 1" at a time until i found the magic spot, once the magic spot was found I tried to couple the port and subs as close to this position as possible. I tuned my enclosure to peak at 30hz thats why I played that particular note. I saw a 14db difference from the worst to best trunk location

I think I gained 2.5dB by sealing off and extending my port to the rear deck.

Definitely worth experimenting with :good:

wurd...

I will build a test box, fire front, back, pushed front pushed back, and see what happens.......

Or just build a box and toss it in..... depends how much budlight we have for the month ;)

Archived