Second Skin Audio

Box material

dolarbilz

I guess everyone has different acoustical prefferances. When good acoustics is a priority, i like building out of actual hardwood when possible, like what is done with high end pro audio, home theater, and guitar cabinets. Mdf or plywood are not tonewoods. Notice you will never see a guitar built out of either.

I disagree with you on this one. I know of VERY few speaker boxes built out of solid hardwood. The problem with hardwood is dimensional stability. It moves with changes in temperature/humidity. A solid hardwood box is very likely to end up cracking at some point. However there are lots of boxes veneered with hardwood or that use hardwood laminated to plywood, from the outside you would never be able to tell they aren't solid wood.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

I guess everyone has different acoustical prefferances. When good acoustics is a priority, i like building out of actual hardwood when possible, like what is done with high end pro audio, home theater, and guitar cabinets. Mdf or plywood are not tonewoods. Notice you will never see a guitar built out of either.

I disagree with you on this one. I know of VERY few speaker boxes built out of solid hardwood. The problem with hardwood is dimensional stability. It moves with changes in temperature/humidity. A solid hardwood box is very likely to end up cracking at some point. However there are lots of boxes veneered with hardwood or that use hardwood laminated to plywood, from the outside you would never be able to tell they aren't solid wood.

I deal with hardwoods every day at my job. We rip the boards to a narrow width, then we take the pieces and glue them back together edge ways with the grain directions alternating, this prevents watping, twisting, and cracking. Some of these we verneer, some we do not depending on the sales order.

Ive built several enclosures using this method and have had no problems. As long as the wood is dried to 8% or less moisture content and sealed from moisture it holds up well.

Owner of BigAss Ports

VTLOGOnotext.jpg.667f65a91c14a3f8b00ad9ab5ecdb92f.jpg

Yeah I seen people rips the boards like you are saying and glue them back with alternating grain. It would still make me nervous, but I can see where it would work. I'm sure if you are used to doing it its probably no big deal to do.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Yeah I seen people rips the boards like you are saying and glue them back with alternating grain. It would still make me nervous, but I can see where it would work. I'm sure if you are used to doing it its probably no big deal to do.

There really isnt much to it. Its the same way that wood bowling lanes are built. The strength of the wood is increased greatly as well.

Owner of BigAss Ports

have you ever been to a guitar center and noticed that their hardwood guitars are in a climate controlled environment? they have the cheapies out in the open but the quality guitars are in a room that is controlled.. i would think the same will apply to an enclosure made of hardwood

have you ever been to a guitar center and noticed that their hardwood guitars are in a climate controlled environment? they have the cheapies out in the open but the quality guitars are in a room that is controlled.. i would think the same will apply to an enclosure made of hardwood

The bodies of the higher guitars are often coated in a nitrocellulose finish as well, and feature higher quality electronics, both of which are more vulnerable to humidity than the alternative.

Owner of BigAss Ports

Menards has 13 ply baltic but you have to order it at $85 a sheet i think it was... im stick with mdf on this build. I would like to do hardwood but not skilled enough... might tet do one if i redo my h.t fronts though

Archived