Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

Box material


dolarbilz

Recommended Posts

Posted

So I'm building a enclosure for a single ssd 10. Went to home depot get a shhet of wood.seen the " cabinet grade " pine sheet made in china its few tenths thicker than 5/8 but as alot of layers .looks good feels solid.was 35.00 a sheet.

Was looking at the 3/4 birch (maple)to at HD was 50.00 a sheet.but not as many layers.anyways just thinking isn't more layers suppose to be better..I'm not to worried since it will be a single ten box pretty compact so should be solid.

Posted

No clue about that stuff but I can tell you the cheap sheets of Baltic birch that everyplace has for like $40-$50 is not the stuff you want to use.

The sheets of true Baltic birch plywood are about $100 a sheet.

The cheap stuff is less layers and usually only the outer layer is birch.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Posted

Like broke said, don't waste your money on birch from the big box stores.....the only birch in those sheets is the thin outer layer. Might as well get the cheap plywood.

Depends on where you get it. I can get quality Baltic birch 13 layer for $84 but the same place sells 7ply arauco for half the price that's very nice. The guy I get it from even recommended it over the birch due to the quality.

Post some pics of the cuts you make....curious to see what it looks like inside.

Singer Alternators

Team Asshole

#anothershittysingerbuild

Posted

Things might be different in your area, but where I'm at the big box stores don't sell any plywood appropriate for box building. The cheaper plywoods will use really thin face veneers that are prone to delaminating. All you are gluing to is that face veneer so delamination is really bad.

What ever plywood you use you want it to have equal thickness plies. Two plywoods that fit this description are real Baltic birch or Arauco. I use mostly Arauco since it kinda hits a sweet spot between price, stiffness, weight, and appearance.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Posted

I agree with everybody on real Baltic birch. This was just to see how it works it dose look 100% better than the baltich they sold.. Just wanted try something different

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 3222 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...