Rockville M-4 At .5 ohm (no joke)

ShadeTreeMechanic

You know that song that just slams on your system and would be a good song for you to demo?

What if every song slammed just like that? High bass low bass any bass?

That's the idea to building a great system, any song will sound great, be just as clear clean and loud correct staging right?

When you hear something in a song that was recorded there but you never heard it before?

Then your'e on the right track.

I will start a thread soon of the box build then another of the biamp bass. After all these years i cant be the only one that does this?

Why does it sound like i am trying to sell this to someone?

Maybe i really am crazy, but its fun.....

So what you are describing is an flat/even frequency response curve. You are totally right on how it sounds. Every song sounds good with clean, even bass.
You don't need to bi-amp with multiple sized subs to achieve that though. You can achieve the same thing with one size sub as long as you plan for it in the beginning and properly select your equipment.

Yes you are right. Thanks everyone for your input. On a sealed box designed with a Q of .7 for flat response if a driver is chosen with some value for Fs then that will give the flattest response that peaks at some frequency. Right now my HDS315s smash the lows with a port resonant frequency of 34hz. This is because there is a big response at that frequency because the box Q is 1. My first try was at .7 as always but because The Qt of the woofer is .829, it gave me a negative number for box volume. A Q of 1 gave me a box of 4.4 cubic feet and a box resonant frequency of 43hz. Then the port at 34hz with about a 5db bump. So if i picked a sub that had a lower Qt so i could use a box Q of .7 then it would smash the same lows? No but it wouldn't have a big bump so would be more even with the upper bass thus making upper bass comparatively louder. Duplicate this setup to get as loud as you want.

I picked these to smash the lows so i could blend it into the upper bass with a sealed box Q of .7 on the 10s and blend this into the 2 8s in the rear stage behind the back doors and then all this blend into front 6.5 mids and 1 inch tweeters. Just a different way to do it i guess. A side benefit is that power handling is increased by reducing the range a driver has to play.

So now you can get louder with fewer speakers.

Maybe that's why i started doing it. All i know is when properly done it sounds great.

(No i don't have an RTA, maybe someone can recommend something reasonably priced)

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

Couple things:

1) Sealed resonance dude, not tuning frequency. Use correct terminology

2) Mixing different sized subs to hit different frequencies? SMH

Ok

#1 got it

#2 Different sizes for different frequencies. Yes like tweeter is small. Mid range a little bigger. Mid bass a little bigger. Bass even bigger. Sub bass the biggest.

Different sizes lend themselves to different frequencies. Just look at the different range of Fs between sizes.

Like the drums in a drum set are different sizes too. Why not?

Pioneer 80PRS

Couple things:

1) Sealed resonance dude, not tuning frequency. Use correct terminology

2) Mixing different sized subs to hit different frequencies? SMH

Ok

#1 got it

#2 Different sizes for different frequencies. Yes like tweeter is small. Mid range a little bigger. Mid bass a little bigger. Bass even bigger. Sub bass the biggest.

Different sizes lend themselves to different frequencies. Just look at the different range of Fs between sizes.

Like the drums in a drum set are different sizes too. Why not?

No, just no. It's sad that you think you need to have multiple subs and enclosures to achieve a well rounded spectrum.

Properly designed/built enclosure with quality subs can play perfectly flat and play everything. Good mid bass to pick up where the subs roll off and you're set.

Also, I hate to split hairs but .707 is the Total Q you're shooting for which is the Buttetworth response. A critically damped system that returns to equilibrium as soon as possible.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

Yes you are right. Thanks everyone for your input. On a sealed box designed with a Q of .7 for flat response if a driver is chosen with some value for Fs then that will give the flattest response that peaks at some frequency. Right now my HDS315s smash the lows with a port resonant frequency of 34hz. This is because there is a big response at that frequency because the box Q is 1. My first try was at .7 as always but because The Qt of the woofer is .829, it gave me a negative number for box volume. A Q of 1 gave me a box of 4.4 cubic feet and a box resonant frequency of 43hz. Then the port at 34hz with about a 5db bump. So if i picked a sub that had a lower Qt so i could use a box Q of .7 then it would smash the same lows? No but it wouldn't have a big bump so would be more even with the upper bass thus making upper bass comparatively louder. Duplicate this setup to get as loud as you want.

Whoa, now hold on a second. You realize Qtc doesn't really apply to ported boxes.

You got 8"s crammed in there too? What frequencies are you sending to those?

To each there own, but simplicity is the ultimate sophistication (IMHO).

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Het, it worked for EXO right? Right? Right?

I don't even know how that dude is taken seriously in the community.

P.S. I caught the subtlety of your comment ;) haha

I think it's his personality that keeps people watching, dude is a trip.

And I mean he's louder than a lot of people that talk shit about his lack of skills and knowledge so...........

Ive been following him on you tube for a few months and thats what led me to this new addiction, i like to watch his builds but more importally all the bass demos he gets to interview and i can see everyones set ups. Because of his channel i found steve meade and now on here learning from all you guys.

Thanks Triticum and Clean Sierra,

Good mid bass to pick up where the subs roll off. This is where I'm at except I am crossing over before the sub rolls off on its high end and pick up with the tens. Eights on the front amp crossed over at 60 and up. They are more rear fill than anything.

Driver Qt and ported boxes. I am listening.

Pioneer 80PRS

IMG_20151210_175133_218_zpsse92xhvw.jpg

Port tuning....... this is how i got tuning stuck in my head. You tune the port because you decide what resonant frequency you want it to resonate at. If you decide a Q of .7 for your sealed box will not give you the desired resonant frequency and change the Q to something else to raise or lower the resonant frequency and thought that was also tuning then you failed? Apparently. Sorry to cause any confusion.

I saw Qt in my slot ported box program and thought it was needed for ported enclosures.

Maybe not but if i change it the result is different so it must do something?

This is on dbdynamixaudio.com They have calculators for a bunch of different types of boxes.

Pioneer 80PRS

OK, I think see where your confusion comes from.

So every sub has a QTS, which is a measurement of the Q of the sub in free air. The QTS of the sub is an indicator of what type of box the sub will most likely work well in (high QTS prefers sealed boxes, low QTS prefers ported). Furthermore the QTS is one of the parameters that determines the optimal specs for the box. Lower QTS subs generally require smaller box volumes (this applies to both sealed and ported), higher QTS subs need bigger box volumes.

When you put a sub in a sealed box the free-air resonant frequency changes (its goes up) and becomes the sealed resonant frequency (Fb). The same thing happens to the QTS of the sub, its goes up and is then referred to as the QTC.

With ported boxes, its different, the QTC doesn't really come into play. Why this is, I can't tell you, you will need someone more educated than I am to answer that question. The point is while ported boxes don't really have a QTC, the QTS of the sub is still important and that's why your box calculator asks for it and when you change it it changes the specs for the box.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

OK, I think see where your confusion comes from.
So every sub has a QTS, which is a measurement of the Q of the sub in free air. The QTS of the sub is an indicator of what type of box the sub will most likely work well in (high QTS prefers sealed boxes, low QTS prefers ported). Furthermore the QTS is one of the parameters that determines the optimal specs for the box. Lower QTS subs generally require smaller box volumes (this applies to both sealed and ported), higher QTS subs need bigger box volumes.
When you put a sub in a sealed box the free-air resonant frequency changes (its goes up) and becomes the sealed resonant frequency (Fb). The same thing happens to the QTS of the sub, its goes up and is then referred to as the QTC.
With ported boxes, its different, the QTC doesn't really come into play. Why this is, I can't tell you, you will need someone more educated than I am to answer that question. The point is while ported boxes don't really have a QTC, the QTS of the sub is still important and that's why your box calculator asks for it and when you change it it changes the specs for the box.

Thanks for the clarification.

The HDS315 with a high QTS of .829 and low VAS looked like it was strange for a ported sub but that's what Soundcubed recommends. The ported box equations that i have didn't work. So I tried to Google for alternative equations and found nothing but box calculators. So i picked one and ran the numbers and it seemed to correspond with what soundcubed reccomended. I then used the sealed box equations that i have and the box volume came out about the same also.

What equations or calculators do you like to work with?

Pioneer 80PRS

Whoa, now hold on a second. You realize Qtc doesn't really apply to ported boxes.

You got 8"s crammed in there too? What frequencies are you sending to those?

To each there own, but simplicity is the ultimate sophistication (IMHO).

like how the old school sq guys would compete with 2 tweeters and a single 10"?

Archived