AudioControl DM-608

(2) Stevens Audio Neo-Comp Full-Size Horns

(4) Faital Pro 6PR160 6.5"

AudioControl LC-6.1200

(1) Fi Neo 4.7 15" D2 in 3.74 Cubic Feet @ 27.70 Hz

Ampere Audio AA3800.1

Odyssey ODP-AGM48 Battery (Starting)

Odyssey ODX-AGM31 Battery (Trunk)

Big 3 - 2\0 Welding Cable, KnuKonceptz Speaker Wire & 1/0 Power Cable, NVX RCAs, Second Skin (Speaker Tweaker Pads, Damplifier Pro Mat), Diode Dynamics LEDs

Am I close to having enough space? Because I have a few inches in about all directions that I can sacrifice. But if it's nowhere near enough space are there 15s that like that amount of space?

Yeah, you are close. How much more space do you have to spare?

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

DC Level 3's. DSS Etho's.

but the Fi SSD series driver is a VERY nice little woofer. Before trying to cram two fifteens in a not optimal space, figure up a box for the 2 12's. I almost guarantee that 2 12's would be better in that enviroment over the 15's

On 1/4/2013 at 9:31 PM, HatersGonnaHate said:

Wow. 184 posts and I think you're a fucking asshole.

What vehicle is this going in and what amp are you going to be using?

I'm going to present a dissenting opinion and say that you should be able to use a pair of SSD 15"s on the space you have. Whether or not that is going to be the best thing for you to do depends on what your goals for the system are and how you like your music to sound.

With the space you have available, you should be able to get a box with 5 cubes of net airspace and proper port area. So the question is would a pair of 12"s or a pair of 15"s work better for you with those box specs. Like boom50cal said, the SSD series of subs are very nice, so I would stick with those if you can. With 5 cubes of net airspace you are at the upper end of what FI recommends for a pair of 12"s (3.6 - 5.0 cubes per pair) and are a little below what they recommend for 15"s (6.0 - 8.0 cubes per pair). I think the 15"s will work fine in that space, but they are going to sound different than the 12"s would. If you are after max output, the 12"s are mostly likely going to be the best bet. They should have the highest peak output. However they are only going to be louder than the 15" over a limited range of frequencies right around where the box is tuned to, outside that limited range the 15"s will be louder. The result of this is the 15"s are going to have a lot smoother frequency response and will not have the peaky output like the 12"s will. The 15" will also have a lot lower group delay, which should contribute to better sound quality.

If it were me, I'd find a little extra space (which it sounds like you have) and cram the 15"s in there. I've put a SSD 15 in a 2.75 cube box and it worked great, at 2.5 cubes a piece you are just 10% less than that. I much prefer the more even frequency response the 15"s will give you, but that just how I like my systems to sound. If you are trying to get a loud as possible and sound quality isn't a priority, then the 12"s will serve you better.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Archived