reasons not to use 6x9's

Broke_Audio_Addict

Besides the fact that linearity will be better in a round driver what reasons other than that are there not to use a 6x9"?

I'm not talking about cheap ass bullshit by nines either, I'm talking high end such as hertz, image dynamics, and the like.

Was going to do some mods and put in 6.5's but there are some very nice quality 6×9's out there that really have me asking is a round really that much better?

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

How many manufacturers use oval speakers? Most of them do.

They allow for greater amounts of bass, and the depending on how you orient the speaker you can tune it to your liking, if the oval was a truly horrible speaker no one would make or install one.

EDIT: My last pair were the polk MM691's and i can tell you, they were pretty damn badass for a 6x9 with the exception in that they didn't like having 250w put to them all the time even though they took it like a champ.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

How many manufacturers use oval speakers? Most of them do.

They allow for greater amounts of bass, and the depending on how you orient the speaker you can tune it to your liking, if the oval was a truly horrible speaker no one would make or install one.

That's kind of what I'm trying to get at.

Not many make high quality ovals though.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Just like in quality round speakers, most ovals are not made with the same quality and parts a round speaker is made.

The polk MM's 6x9's used the same materials the round MM's have so you can be assured a certain amount of sound quality.

The downside to the MM's are the metal tweeters which seem to take forever to break in and mellow out.

I have always wanted to try the hertz 6x9's to see how well they perform and sound.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

These 6x9's will be used for rear fill correct? There are few higher end options out there like Focal, Morel, MMATS, etc.

Of course the SQ guys will tell you that rear fill is a waste of time and money that won't help imaging. (So now that is out of the way)

They will not be used for rear fill, they would be used in my front doors.

The factory size in all four doors is 6x9"

I have to tell you I see no reason not to. In my own opinion they sound just as good as any round speaker I've ever had the pleasure to listen to. I use to run 4 Pioneer TS-A6881R powered by a Kicker KX350.4 in my Lincoln Navigator b4 the truck was totaled. Boy I'm still pissed about that! Even though those were 6x8 they were no different the equivalent 6x9 model. Great sound from all levels of volume. I ran them hard and never had one issue with them. They don't cost what the higher end do but, they were of good quality. But that's just my opinion. None the less, 6x9's get down with the best of them!

with as many cars that are now equiped with front 6x9's I am surprised that a manufacturer hasnt spent the time to come up with a high end comp set with a 6x9 and seperate tweeter with a really nice crossover.

DB DRAG PSYCHLONE PRO 156.3 30 SECOND AVERAGE FO MAX AT 26HZ

LEGAL DASH DRIVER DOOR OPEN 158.0@30 HZ

MY BEST SO FAR, HOPEFULLY A 160 COME FEBUARY.

156.9@26hz  158.0@30hz

The only reason TO use an oval is to get more bass out of that speaker in a confined space. We use subwoofers to cover the bass, so it's a moot concept.

That said, there's nothing wrong with ovals, and an aftermarket oval is light years ahead of the stock oval.

The added ease of installation of maintaining a factory sized speaker is certainly nice.

Nothing wrong with ovals, wang 'em if you want to. They were built as a compromise to fill available space, but are built well enough that there really is no compromise. Yeah. Bass on.

with as many cars that are now equiped with front 6x9's I am surprised that a manufacturer hasnt spent the time to come up with a high end comp set with a 6x9 and seperate tweeter with a really nice crossover.

There are a few out there. Focal Integration ISS 690, Image Dynamics XS 69, and RE Audio XXX 6.9C. Can't say they're high end. Definitely not cheap.

Archived