The reason I'm asking is because thhn cable and welding cable specifications are basically the same. The size thhn I have laying around compared to the same size welding cable I'm looking at are almost identical in specs when it comes to temperature rating voltage rating. The amperage ratings are slightly different. The thhn I have is rated at 195amps. The welding cable is 205.

The same just because thhn and welding cable are both rated at 600 volts and have industrical jackets ? They are TOTALLY different style of wire made for two COMPLETLEY different applications. Where the hell did u come up with welding cable rated at 205 amps ?

Go ahead and use ur 1/0 thhn wire, dont say i didnt tell u so. I hate it when i try to help someone out and all they wanna do is try to justify their purchesse, rather admit they made a wrong move and listen to people who have experience and knowledge.

Just because something works doesnt mean its right. If u wanna do some half ass install thats on you man im DONE.

I apologize to the OP and to Bayuk. I was not trying to throw mud. Bayuk is right, just because you can doesn't mean you should. There are other factors involved besides amp rating and insulation jacket. A piece of 1/0 THHN is not practical for automotive use and I do not recommend it. I'm sorry if I sounded like I did.

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

Ur good shadetree there is no issues i appologise for taking this post too personal and trying to be caption save a hoe about it.... lol

Sorry bassesquared for getting outta shape i ment no harm i just want you to be able to install ur equipment safe and proper. In the end its YOUR vehical and equipment, if u choose to go a different way other than the correct and safe way thats you call. Im willing to help anyone and if i dont have the answer i will try to point you in the direction where the answer is.

Well I've been looking all over eBay and almost every single 2/0 I've seen is rated at 205 amps or a little higher. By the way I'm not defending anything. I'm trying to justifi buying welding cable when the specs are almost the same.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=7&rct=j&q=1%2F0%20welding%20cable%20amp%20rating&ved=0ahUKEwj70Y-mmdXKAhVEPCYKHa6OC4MQFghQMAY&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.directwireusa.com%2Fresources%2Fwelding-cable-size-amperage-chart.pdf&usg=AFQjCNGXAce-tcNLck54ZfvqL1PoDXBF3g

Click on that PDF link it explains welding cable amplicity in length how much current it can handle at X amount of feet.

Idk where ur finding 2/0 welding cable is only rated at 205 amps when is rated at 400 amps under 50 feet.

AC and DC are different.... AC does not need flexable wire and new construction in skyscrapers use aluminum buss bars and when it comes to high current AC there is a thing called "skin effect" and if you use multi strand you lose flow... because every strand is only going to carry a thin layer of power, if you use a single strand it will carry more.... im no electrical engineer but this is all the same everytime I read about it..... you would get no diference if you had a 2/0 solid copper pole vs 2/0 4000 strand cable... one might melt quicker but that is all

Archived