Second Skin Audio

where should the port be on a down firing/truck install?

CorNut

I just got a '16 Silverado Crew Cab, I'm going to build a down firing box under the back seat. I have an old RE Audio SE shallow mount 12" I'm going to put to use. Building the box the full width I'll get just over 1.5 cu ft which is in the 1.5-2 cu ft range in the owner's manual. This will be an easy box to build but I've never built a box like this. Is there any benefit to having the sub in the middle vs either side or having the port facing back or also facing down with the sub? If any of you have experience with this type of box and know of any configuration i'd get better results I'd appreciate your advice. I was thinking facing the port backwards may help mask any sort of port noise but facing down may still do that as well. Thanks all

http://s1104.photobucket.com/user/srplebanek/media/IMG_1177_zps5oszuhgz.jpg.html This is my box port facing rear do to noise would recommend that , as for down firing I didn't like it , it didn't sound right but maybe I did something wrong .

2022 Ford Maverick on 22’s                                                                                                                                          Skar SK1500.1 on 4 Skar VD-8’s                                                                                                                       Mids Sundown Super tweeters, Skar TX 6.5 components on Skar SKM400.4                                                 LC2 for audio control  , XS Power D680 XS Series Extra Battery 

I figured down firing would be convenient because there is a bit of a "hump" in the middle of the floor. I have leftover fiberglass and resin from another build, I can easily do that instead of wood on the floor due to it being uneven. If facing the subs up towards the bottom of the seat is better than down to the floor I have no problem doing that even though it's a little more work. I figured rear facing port would be best noise wise.

Port on opposite end or next to sub for long, skinny boxes. Only do sub center if you port both ends or keep it sealed.

The way air compresses creates dead spots/compression limitation at the far ends of skinny shapes when sealed, making it seem smaller than it is to the sub. Porting in that area can help alleviate that.

Static drops are my bag.

I forgot gm has that hump ,I'm interested in your build love seeing trucks with no room making bass it's not easy but a learning experience .

2022 Ford Maverick on 22’s                                                                                                                                          Skar SK1500.1 on 4 Skar VD-8’s                                                                                                                       Mids Sundown Super tweeters, Skar TX 6.5 components on Skar SKM400.4                                                 LC2 for audio control  , XS Power D680 XS Series Extra Battery 

Port on opposite end or next to sub for long, skinny boxes. Only do sub center if you port both ends or keep it sealed.

The way air compresses creates dead spots/compression limitation at the far ends of skinny shapes when sealed, making it seem smaller than it is to the sub. Porting in that area can help alleviate that.

I appreciate your response, so just to make sure I'm understanding right, it'd be best to put the sub on either driver or passenger side as long as the port is on the opposite side?

I forgot gm has that hump ,I'm interested in your build love seeing trucks with no room making bass it's not easy but a learning experience .

This one should be much better than the one in my profile photo. I've done a few big bass small package setups and the best so far has been modifying a factory 8" box in a Sentra so it'd accommodate a Sundown SA-8 v2. If I can get this thing to give me 2/3 the output as that one, I'll be a happy man. I appreciate your guys' responses.

I appreciate your response, so just to make sure I'm understanding right, it'd be best to put the sub on either driver or passenger side as long as the port is on the opposite side?

As with anything audio related--'generally' yes.

Little things can make big differences and testing is the only true answer.

Static drops are my bag.

Well unfortunately this is going to be a 1 shot deal, hopefully I choose right! I mentioned earlier it's an SE 12, I was wrong, it's an RE Audio SL 12. It's their old shallow mount I got to install under the back seat in my GMC Canyon but it was literally 1/4" from fitting, I ended up having to get a 10" Clarion for that truck. I could've raised the seat to accomodate it but it was hard enough to see out of that back window as it was.

Archived