Big 3 question

Hey guys I just had a question on the big 3 upgrade is it OK to do the big 3 with the stock alternator for now until I can buy a high output alternator? Also what gauge wire should you use? Does the wire have to be the same size as my power and ground wire connected to my amp? Don't remember what size wire I'm running now will check if it helps with the answer

Bigger wire = lower resistance, lower resistance = higher voltage. Won't hurt anything, go for it.

Don't trust a shop but you personally just smoked two decks, makes sense.

03' Trailblazer LT
Dayton Designer 6.5"s & Silkie tweeters
Dayton Audio Ultimax 18"
Pioneer 9601 & 8604
XS Power D3400
2 runs 1/0
Singer 250

Yes it's fine, just make sure you add wires to what exists, don't replace. Use whatever your future alt will require.

why not "replace" the existing wires? u mean keep the little fusable linked 10AWG charge lead, running right beside a 0AWG OFC?

Some vehicles throw a piss fit if you replace wires

Yes it's fine, just make sure you add wires to what exists, don't replace. Use whatever your future alt will require.

why not "replace" the existing wires? u mean keep the little fusable linked 10AWG charge lead, running right beside a 0AWG OFC?

Some vehicles throw a piss fit if you replace wires

This.

In my explorer the stock wiring actually supplies power to the under hood fuses before going to the battery.

you gain nothing by removing the factory wires since electricity takes the path of least resistance....I do the big 3 on my stock alts and just use left over 4awg since my power runs are 4awg..... I recommend to people all the time to buy more wire and use the left over for your alt.... stock alts have charging posts that sometimes make it hard to go over 4awg

you gain nothing by removing the factory wires since electricity takes the path of least resistance....I do the big 3 on my stock alts and just use left over 4awg since my power runs are 4awg..... I recommend to people all the time to buy more wire and use the left over for your alt.... stock alts have charging posts that sometimes make it hard to go over 4awg

i agree with using leftovers to upgrade factory alt wiring, ive currently got 2 gauge battery cable from my local parts store to my 110A alt.... its about the same as car audio 4 gage.... only thing to gain is cleaner looking install rather than having small wire ziptied to large wire, i only used 10 awg and 0 awg as an example. and if you cant fit bigger than a 4 awg lug on the alt, do you still have room for that other smaller lug?

ive done some that the lug of a larger wire comes dangerously close to the alt case because the charging post does not stick out far enough.... you can get extensions studs but I find grinding a flat on the lug works well if you have the room.... with the length of the charging lead being so much shorter than the main power run its not 100% necessary to use the same size wire and you can drop down a size or 2, even more if using a stock 130amp alt.... ive never had a problem keeping the stock wire because its way more compact style of lug

Archived