forrest_siems Posted March 9, 2016 Report Posted March 9, 2016 So awhile ago I posted about me having to crank my gain to get any output out of my scv-2000. Did some troubleshooting and the rcas are only putting out 1.3v on music with volume26/35 and sub level +15. My head unit says its 4v pre out. Why isn't it making the 4 volt signal and only 1.3? I've messed with every setting on the head unit to no avail. Do I need a line driver to boost my signal or is something else going on. My installer said I needed a line driver but I just wanted some extra input on this. Thanks!
Broke_Audio_Addict Posted March 9, 2016 Report Posted March 9, 2016 Less stuff in the chain is always better, buy a better head unit. As to why it's not putting out what it's supposed that answer is simple, just like most others in the car audio industry they lie about the numbers. That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.
forrest_siems Posted March 9, 2016 Author Report Posted March 9, 2016 Amp and sub gets hot too. Even when I'm not pushing it all the way. Maybe my signal is so low in some songs that it clips before it can even boost it. Some songs have hardly any bass too because I have no more room to up the subwoofer level. Having things near max just to get signal is making me anxious.
forrest_siems Posted March 9, 2016 Author Report Posted March 9, 2016 It's a kenwood excelon head unit. And was 300 bucks. I don't really think quality is the issue. Before I switched amps my old amp would only have to have gain 1/3 of the way. Could an rca be damaged to where it still puts out signal but not enough? I could have pinched them stuffing sundown 0 gauge through my vehicle.
notorious97200 Posted March 9, 2016 Report Posted March 9, 2016 How did you set your remote gain control on the amp ? Maybe you could try another head unit before buying a new one? We don't know which one, which brand you currently have. black BMW X1 2.0 l 192 hp OEM head unit, Amplifiers : Audison AP 8.9 with integrated DSP and Ampere Audio 1200. Focal ES 100 K in front doors, and Dayton RS 180 for midbass under the front seats. 2 SSA DEMONS 10" subs, in a sealed box. SecondSkin Damplifier on front doors, and Luxury Liner Pro for the cargo area.
ALPINE408 Posted March 9, 2016 Report Posted March 9, 2016 Less stuff in the chain is always better, buy a better head unit. As to why it's not putting out what it's supposed that answer is simple, just like most others in the car audio industry they lie about the numbers. its not a lie they changed it up 1 volt per output 4 outputs 4v PREOUTS!!! Alpine started doing this to pissed me off use to have 4volts per pre out now its 1 per and having 1 volt pre outs is fine all it does is have you turn up the gain knob to match the voltage of you 1 volt preouts A GAIN IS NOT A VOL. KNOB you can 3/4 gain with 1 volt preouts and it will be the SAME as 1/4 gain with 4volt pre outs this is just an example where your gain needs to be set should be done with some type of tool be it an o-scope dd-a ect. the only real differnce is the higher ral 4volt preouts allways have a cleaner signal Cleaner signal = cleaner sound Have you ever had your woofers blown?
forrest_siems Posted March 9, 2016 Author Report Posted March 9, 2016 How did you set your remote gain control on the amp ? Maybe you could try another head unit before buying a new one? We don't know which one, which brand you currently have. It's a kdc-x597. And I've tried to set my gains with a dmm like I have on many of my old amps. But it's kind of hard to set the gain right since I don't have enough signal in the first place
forrest_siems Posted March 9, 2016 Author Report Posted March 9, 2016 A line driver can't hurt though can it? I obviously need more signal.
Broke_Audio_Addict Posted March 9, 2016 Report Posted March 9, 2016 You aren't setting it right using a dmm no matter how good your signal is. Many on here have tested the various excelon units to be clean to max volume or very close to it not sure what output voltage they are getting though. That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.
MrSkippyJ Posted March 9, 2016 Report Posted March 9, 2016 you don't need more signal though, as long as you are meeting the minimum amp requirements there is 0 need for a line driver. Just another piece that can mess up and is entirely not needed. F150: Stock 2019 Harley Road Glide: Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt Processor: DSR1 Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx Lid (Rear) 6x9s - TMS69
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.