Second Skin Audio

NOT A VS THREAD!

I am trying to get both information and opinions on Digital Designs. I have heard both good and bad things about this company, but my main concern is the price! I want to know if my money is being well spent at $500-900 on a single 12 (Depending on the series I go with) as opposed to many other brands that will take the same RMS wattage, for significantly less money. I.E. Sundown, AB, DC, FI, etc.... remember, not a VS thread! ;)

My vehicle is a Mazda 3i SEDAN, so I have a trunk, and I DO NOT want to do any permanent modifications to my trunk! Like sealing, porting through, etc... I would like a single woofer set up, and to still have a functional amount of trunk space afterwards. I am leaning towards a single 12" although I am not opposed to a 15. I listen to rap. Chopped and screwed, nasty and loud lows. That is what I am after. I will NOT be competing, just looking for a daily that will make someone say, "DAMN! That's only ONE woofer?!?" I don't expect to do "Hair Tricks" however, I want to get as loud as I can on 2kw RMS. Either this amp: http://www.amazon.com/American-Bass-Amplifier-Phantom-Micro-Technology/dp/B0096BAS10/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8 Or something in that $400 or less 1500-2000w RMS range (suggestions welcome!) I am running a Sony MEX-XB100BT HU :http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MEX-XB100BT-Hi-Power-Receiver-Bluetooth/dp/B00SCS26KE/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1457627170&sr=1-1&keywords=sony+mex-xb100bt and a set of AD Designs 1000 Series Components up front.

I am trying to learn as MUCH as I can before I just jump into what may end up being thousands of dollars of equipment!

As far as boxes go, I was told by a guy in Panama City, "I can build you a box tuned at 50hz that will be LOUD, dig down deep, and get low!" Is this something that is actually possible? My "research" if you will, had me leaning towards a box tuned at 30-36hz.

This "Box Guy" had a single DD 8" on 300w (under a rear seat in an extended cab Dodge) in a sealed box the size of a small lunch box....and it got LOW! I was amazed that an 8" could hit the notes my ear was hearing and my body was feeling! It wasn't that loud, but it WAS LOW! Which gives me hope for a ported 12 or 15 in a trunk!

Please help me with any information or opinions you have! Sorry for the long rambling. Like I said, I am here to learn from people whom have spent many many more hours and dollars in this hobby than I have!

Thanks so much!

PF

I am trying to get both information and opinions on Digital Designs. I have heard both good and bad things about this company, but my main concern is the price! I want to know if my money is being well spent at $500-900 on a single 12 (Depending on the series I go with) as opposed to many other brands that will take the same RMS wattage, for significantly less money. I.E. Sundown, AB, DC, FI, etc.... remember, not a VS thread! ;)

My vehicle is a Mazda 3i SEDAN, so I have a trunk, and I DO NOT want to do any permanent modifications to my trunk! Like sealing, porting through, etc... I would like a single woofer set up, and to still have a functional amount of trunk space afterwards. I am leaning towards a single 12" although I am not opposed to a 15. I listen to rap. Chopped and screwed, nasty and loud lows. That is what I am after. I will NOT be competing, just looking for a daily that will make someone say, "DAMN! That's only ONE woofer?!?" I don't expect to do "Hair Tricks" however, I want to get as loud as I can on 2kw RMS. Either this amp: http://www.amazon.com/American-Bass-Amplifier-Phantom-Micro-Technology/dp/B0096BAS10/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8 Or something in that $400 or less 1500-2000w RMS range (suggestions welcome!) I am running a Sony MEX-XB100BT HU :http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MEX-XB100BT-Hi-Power-Receiver-Bluetooth/dp/B00SCS26KE/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1457627170&sr=1-1&keywords=sony+mex-xb100bt and a set of AD Designs 1000 Series Components up front.

I am trying to learn as MUCH as I can before I just jump into what may end up being thousands of dollars of equipment!

As far as boxes go, I was told by a guy in Panama City, "I can build you a box tuned at 50hz that will be LOUD, dig down deep, and get low!" Is this something that is actually possible? My "research" if you will, had me leaning towards a box tuned at 30-36hz.

This "Box Guy" had a single DD 8" on 300w (under a rear seat in an extended cab Dodge) in a sealed box the size of a small lunch box....and it got LOW! I was amazed that an 8" could hit the notes my ear was hearing and my body was feeling! It wasn't that loud, but it WAS LOW! Which gives me hope for a ported 12 or 15 in a trunk!

Please help me with any information or opinions you have! Sorry for the long rambling. Like I said, I am here to learn from people whom have spent many many more hours and dollars in this hobby than I have!

Thanks so much!

PF

There's no technology that DD employ that make them any better or worse than any other brand, it's just a matter of understanding what you want and what business practices you want to support. Paying a certain amount of money for a driver isn't a guarantee of anything, especially in terms of output level or response. Tbh, find a good mix of what you can afford, the size you want, aesthetics you like, and a mechanical construction that will handle the sort of power you want to throw at a driver. For example, the reason the Sundown SA-12 is so popular is because it ticks these boxes for a great amount of budget minded builders.

I'm curious though, why do you want specifically 2kw of electrical on your sub? In terms of pure output level, the difference between 1000w and 2000w is inaudible, and throwing 1000w into a driver will only double your output from 100w, probably even less since you'll have more mechanical losses. As far as amps i'd probably recommend either a Rockford prime 1200.1, FSD 1600, or a CAB 1600 on whatever sub meets your goals. There are lots of good options from sundown, SSA, crescendo, EMF, Fi, DC, etc.

Oh, and the guy trying to sell you the idea of a single 12 in a box tuned to 50hz that will crush lows must have some insane driver the laws of physics would fail to explain. Cut off all contact with that guy, he's either as ignorant as sin or a total snake oil salesman.

Don't trust a shop but you personally just smoked two decks, makes sense.

03' Trailblazer LT
Dayton Designer 6.5"s & Silkie tweeters
Dayton Audio Ultimax 18"
Pioneer 9601 & 8604
XS Power D3400
2 runs 1/0
Singer 250

So you want info on dd but you want to compare it to other brands in the same price category which is overly broad right.

Just because you say it isn't a versus thread doesn't mean it's not. Either way I'll leave this open for a bit. You're topic is so broad and vague that you can't possibly be able to whittle down to an answer

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

See, I didn't know that the difference between 1000w and 200w is inaudible! Thank you! The reason I say 2kw, is because I'm looking for something that gets loud. I understand that a majority of that is the box...but will I get that same low and loud factor on say, 500w?

As for a box, I figured he was full of it....but that's why I'm asking. What would be a good tuning? 30hz, 28hz, 40hz? I'm not sure. He was also charging like $400 to build a box, FUK THAT! I am capable of building one, I just rather pay someone who KNOWS what they are doing! He also said I should to with a "euro-port" not a slot port...and again, I'm kind of clueless there.

As for N8's comment, I just want to learn. I was wondering, is DD worth THAT MUCH money? I don't care about other woofers. I am using a broad range so it's not, "sub X vs sub Y." I don't want to spend $900 on a woofer when I could spend $200 and get the same thing with just a different name slapped on it. Does that make sense? I don't mean to be a hypocritical poster lol

Thanks forthe help!

PF

Tuning will depend on your listening preferences. Aero ports are more efficient than slot ports. but again can be a builders preference. I like aero ports in smaller boxes and where I have room and want a wind tunnel I use a slot port.

for mainly rap, most folks 30-35ish. Do you listen to any bass boosted tracks? And many factors go into what can be louder ( car, box placement, windows up vs down, etc...... ).

I'm not sure if this is putting what I want into words, but in a nut shell, I want to be loud! Lol it sounds like I'm 15 wanting to be annoying, but honestly that's it. Loud and low. Car flexing, hard to breathe, bass. Now, I DOUBT I can get that with my car having a trunk, and not wanting to ruin my car. However, that's the goal I'm shooting for lol

as for bass boosted, not usually, I like some chopped and screwed songs for their lows. But usually just standard recording, "krunk" as the young kids say ;)

if you are set on a single driver do a single SA15. I'd prefer a pair of SA12 though with your goal vs level of vehicle mutilation/modification you are willing to commit to. Honestly you aren't going to get the level of WOW you want with your level of commitment. Does your back set fold down? Will you be investing in sound deadening, upgraded electrical?

I'm not saying you can't put something together that will sound good. But, WOW takes work, mods, and money!

CURRENT SYSTEM:

• Alternator:
    1. Stock alt on mids/highs
    2. Isolated DC Power 270 SP - Charging @ 16.8v
  • Batteries: (2) XS D1400s
  • Power Cable: Double Runs of 1/0 KNU Kolossus Fleks
  • Headunit: 80-PRS
  • Sub Amp: DC 5.0k
  • Subwoofers: 2 RE MT 15s /PSI dual .7ohm recones
  • Subwoofer Enclosure: 9.1cubes @ 32hz - brutal.
  • Mids & Highs Amp: CT125.4
  • Active Components:
    • Mids RE XXX 6.5c
    • Highs - 3 RE XXX tweeters per side(A pillar)
  • Noise Control: Damplifier Pro all over the cab.

Build Log

If you do business with me please leave feedback here: FEEDBACK THREAD

Highest Legal Score: 151.0 db
Highest Musical 30 Second Average: 151.6 db

Yes, my seats fold down. I plan on putting money into this, just not modding my car permanently, like cutting crap. Ie, I want my trunk to be usable, somewhat, but I don't want to go get some cheap kickers. I want to go as far as I can without modding my car, because I will be selling it eventually! ;)

Archived