Sonic Electronix

How much wire before tapping into factory wiring too much?

I have a JBL MS8 processor, I'm putting it behind the back seat in a crew cab Silverado. I already ran the wire (stinger 18ga 9 wire) from the factory head unit to where the processor is going (16ft). After the MS8 will be a soundstream 5 channel amp (tn5.950d) which is rated at 130w x4@2-ohm on the channels in question. I'd love to run another 9 wire back (another 16ft) from the amp then tap into the factory wiring. There's an opening in the dash by the factory head unit that'd be the perfect spot for putting the crossovers for the components I'm putting up front too, if there's no real downside I'd love to use the factory wiring. The 5 channel amp is pretty small, I'm sure they're liberal with the rating. I got the kappa 6.5" components for up front and kappa 6.5 coax for rear doors. They're both 2 ohm sets of speakers, I'm not sure if that higher wattage will be harder on the wiring or anything? I didn't think about it when purchasing them (used), I just figured the amp can handle it and the price was right. Thanks all

Well, the one I installed was a 20' roll and I cut off around 4'. There is still excess both in the dash by the head unit and where the wire comes out behind the seat, they'll still be cut down more before I make the connections but not much. It goes from the center of the dash over the glove box down the kick panel and along the track then back to the center with 2-3' of wire hanging out until I find the amp's exact location. What's the purpose of your post, are you trying to help or is your intention to make me look stupid? The newer crew cab Silverados have a large interior. The distance from the kick panel to the back wall alone is 8' before any of the routing to the amp or behind the dash to the head unit.

Do not use the factory wiring, run all new wire to the speakers.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Is the stock wire bigger than 16awg? 16 will work, just sounds kind of small.

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

16ft? Dude you could run a wire from your front bumper all ghe way to you tail lights with 16ft!

I envy people like you. I need 20ft RCA's in my trailblazer just to reach my amps with decent routing.

Don't trust a shop but you personally just smoked two decks, makes sense.

03' Trailblazer LT
Dayton Designer 6.5"s & Silkie tweeters
Dayton Audio Ultimax 18"
Pioneer 9601 & 8604
XS Power D3400
2 runs 1/0
Singer 250

Is the stock wire bigger than 16awg? 16 will work, just sounds kind of small.

I agree, I would use 14ga minimum.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

No, it's not bigger than 16awg. Plus if I did the 9 wire as I was thinking about, that'd be 18 gauge between the amp to factory wiring(I'd guess factory wiring is 18awg too). It's a brand new truck, I shouldn't consider being lazy/cutting corners. I have a spool of 16 awg sitting around, running 16 awg I'll be running slightly thicker wire on top of cutting down the length of runs by about half. Part of me was hoping the amp was small enough that it wouldn't matter though.

Archived