How to tell if music is clipped.

So Ryan. As you can see from the diagram above there are two kinds of clipping. They are caused by the signal being pushed to, and beyond it's limitations. Either by running out of electrical energy available or the limitations of the circuitry. A soft clip means you've nearly reached the end of the rope but still have a rounded, though compressed (limited) waveform. Some people like to push their electronics to soft clipping. Hard clipping means you've reached the absolute limits of your amplitude (volume.. measured up and down from the horizontal "zero" line). The waveform ends up being chopped (clipped) off at the top and the bottom due to the inability to produce the full wave. This hard clipping can destroy speakers by causing them to slam to a halt, slam into reverse, slam to a halt again, and so on.

You have no clue on what clipping is.

The wave will be cut off at the top and bottom of the wave.

fx_clip1.jpg

How do I have no clue? I was obviously talking about the waves with heavy clipping to the right of my picture on the second one.

2003 Chevy Silverado Reg Cab. Rockford Fosgate 500a2 and Kicker ZR240 each on their own 12" Kicker Comp S. Small, but everyone's gotta start somewhere.

I wonder if those flat spots are due to the low resolution of the waveform representation. The only reason I wonder is because there are unclipped peaks with higher amplitude right next to the ones with the flat spots. Also because there are flat spots in the middle of the waveform away from the peaks in amplitude. I might be wrong though..

Screenshot_2016-03-19-06-20-08_zpsmg4vsh

Screenshot_2016-03-19-06-20-14_zpsfbjyqb

Search for Tony Ds videos. He does an excellent job of explaining this and many other things too.

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

Archived