Active capable HU instead of a processor ????

I have been checking out some nice HU's and some of them seem to have a lot of the features that a DSP would have . So why not save 500-$1000 and get a head unit that has crossover adj, time alignment, band pass, etc ?

My whole system is running off of a MiniDSP 2x4. $1000? o__O

The features the MiniDSP has even with the basic plugins far surpass that of FLAGSHIP head units. You're comparing checkers to chess.

E2HXkx3.png

Watch these units they are know to put whine into the highs and mids. The Soundstream Harmony and the PPI DSP are the same whine on the outputs.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/garage/vehicle/2438-jeep-commander/

th_140x100square.jpgMechman_140x100px.JPGDCHome.jpgI

image_url-76414-1423274612_thumb.jpgimage_url-76414-1423320284_thumb.jpg

Pioneer P99RS
Ampere 3800
2-Ampere 125/4
4-6.5 inch Hertz HSK XL Mids
4-8 inch JL Audio ZR Midwoofer

2-5.25 Satori Mids
2-Morel Tweeters, 2 Hertz Milles 3 inch on A pillars
2-Hertz Silk tweeters
DC Audio Level 5/12
Skyhigh Wire
Mechman 320
XS Power D3100

MO Funniest Thread of the Year 2013: http://www.stevemead...dy-being-a-pos/

Pioneer Stage 4 DEX-P99RS.......................hmmmmmm................ but but but thats an $1100 HU. I am sure they are worth every penny but one could get a $250 Alpine with a lot of bells and whistles and a Rockford Fosgate 3SIXTY, installed for that price. I have always liked options but damn it man there are just too many in this high tech world of car stereo gadgets, LOL

I have been checking out some nice HU's and some of them seem to have a lot of the features that a DSP would have . So why not save 500-$1000 and get a head unit that has crossover adj, time alignment, band pass, etc ?

My whole system is running off of a MiniDSP 2x4. $1000? o__O

The features the MiniDSP has even with the basic plugins far surpass that of FLAGSHIP head units. You're comparing checkers to chess.

Watch these units they are know to put whine into the highs and mids. The Soundstream Harmony and the PPI DSP are the same whine on the outputs.

I've installed a mini dsp 2x4 with the mini DC isolator recently. I have absolutely no unwanted noise going through my speakers, so far

I'm very happy. It's the cheapest solution for a dsp, but a very efficient one.

The only negative point is that you need a computer to load the settings to the dsp. You can't change settings on the fly, and compare the results while driving.

I have it in the bottom of my glove box, well hidden.

black BMW X1 2.0 l 192 hp

OEM head unit, Amplifiers Audison AP 8.9 amp with integrated DSP and Ampere Audio 1200.

Focal ES 100 K in front doors, and Dayton RS 180 for midbass under the front seats.

2 SSA DEMONS 10" subs, in a 2.6 ft3  ported box. SecondSkin Damplifier on front doors, and Luxury Liner Pro for the cargo area.

Esgedi............thanks man I will be checking them out. The miniDSP looks like a very affordable option, even if you had to buy two of them at $110 each.

No need to buy 2 of them. Go to minidsp.com and order the right one they have one with up to 8 outputs. No need for the 100.00. one. Good luck with the noise they create also.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/garage/vehicle/2438-jeep-commander/

th_140x100square.jpgMechman_140x100px.JPGDCHome.jpgI

image_url-76414-1423274612_thumb.jpgimage_url-76414-1423320284_thumb.jpg

Pioneer P99RS
Ampere 3800
2-Ampere 125/4
4-6.5 inch Hertz HSK XL Mids
4-8 inch JL Audio ZR Midwoofer

2-5.25 Satori Mids
2-Morel Tweeters, 2 Hertz Milles 3 inch on A pillars
2-Hertz Silk tweeters
DC Audio Level 5/12
Skyhigh Wire
Mechman 320
XS Power D3100

MO Funniest Thread of the Year 2013: http://www.stevemead...dy-being-a-pos/

OK I see the one with 8 outputs now, its under the kits but its $275. So whats the deal with the "noise" they create ? Have any of you actually installed them and had issues ? Esgedi seems happy with his.

Never even heard of the mini dsp. Seems like a good way to get your feet wet and decide if you really want a processor. I am lazy, once I set something up I rarely mess with it.lol may be worth looking into.

As far as whine goes, I've had head units that had ground loop issues and some speaker wire (legit fix) fixed them all right up.

Archived