If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, tell them you'll buy the parts from somewhere else and just charge for labor....

Lots of shops won't do that, and the ones that will won't give you a warranty.

This.

Everything is fixed now and I have like $19 in the bank lol

2009 Dodge Caliber SXT (Silver)

Deck: Pioneer X3600BHS

Amps: RF P1000X5

Front: RF P16-S

Rear: RF P1694

Subs: 1 RF P3D2-10

Cabling: Stinger 6 channel RCA, RF 4gauge kit, SkyHighCarAudio 16gauge speaker wire.

Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/188246-caliber-build

Professional Networking: https://www.linkedin.com/in/kade-mallett-332b8a104

If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, tell them you'll buy the parts from somewhere else and just charge for labor....

I absolutely hate that. When the clutch packs in my trailblazer went out i wanted to have it rebuilt with a kit from monster transmission. The shop i took it to would only do it with stock replacements. Like, what in the world is the point? Why shouldn't i just do it myself and save some coin?

Anyway, OP, struts have a lifetime of about 100,000 miles before they stop doing their intended purpose. If your car is at or over that, they probably do actually need to be replaced. As for the camber bolts though, unless your car was in an accident i see no reason why you'd need them. It should still have the factory geometry.

Don't trust a shop but you personally just smoked two decks, makes sense.

03' Trailblazer LT
Dayton Designer 6.5"s & Silkie tweeters
Dayton Audio Ultimax 18"
Pioneer 9601 & 8604
XS Power D3400
2 runs 1/0
Singer 250

Oh yeah didn't think about it like that lol....well a good reason to learn how to do it yourself....save me a lot of money doing it that way...

Y wouldnt that shop buy ready struts and the bolt kit that place sounds like a shitty place get a 2nd opinion

2022 Ford Maverick on 22’s                                                                                                                                          Skar SK1500.1 on 4 Skar VD-8’s                                                                                                                       Mids Sundown Super tweeters, Skar TX 6.5 components on Skar SKM400.4                                                 LC2 for audio control  , XS Power D680 XS Series Extra Battery 

I absolutely hate that. When the clutch packs in my trailblazer went out i wanted to have it rebuilt with a kit from monster transmission. The shop i took it to would only do it with stock replacements.

That's a little different than the discussion going on here. Upgraded parts vs. basic repair work. I would have put the shop in touch with Monster directly to see if they'd be willing to take it on with more knowledge and a little bit of profit in parts for them--if Monster would give them a wholesale price.

Static drops are my bag.

What did the 646 include ?

My receipt says:

Labor

R&R Lower Control Arms - $70 per side - $140 total

Align Front System - $65 total

Parts

Lower Control Arms - $220.66 per side - $441.32 total

After taxes, $709 and some change. Day before I had to get my front 2 tires replaced...That was $263.

I. AM. BROKE.

Cabling: Stinger 6 channel RCA, RF 4gauge kit, SkyHighCarAudio 16gauge speaker wire.

I absolutely hate that. When the clutch packs in my trailblazer went out i wanted to have it rebuilt with a kit from monster transmission. The shop i took it to would only do it with stock replacements. Like, what in the world is the point? Why shouldn't i just do it myself and save some coin?

Anyway, OP, struts have a lifetime of about 100,000 miles before they stop doing their intended purpose. If your car is at or over that, they probably do actually need to be replaced. As for the camber bolts though, unless your car was in an accident i see no reason why you'd need them. It should still have the factory geometry.

I'm at 112k miles. I'm not sure what was done with the car pre-53k miles. This shop said the lower control arms was the problem. It's definitely a more quiet ride now.

Labor is cool, 60-70 an hour is pretty standard for independent shops but they charged you almost 100% mark up on the parts. I usually only charge 40-50% depending on what I have to go through to get them. Each to his own I suppose.

Bright side is you will not be grinding off the new tires and you won't have to worry about blowing a tire, having a steer tire go down is never fun. Plus it should be a little better on fuel.

Archived