solar0987 Posted April 14, 2016 Author Report Posted April 14, 2016 Well the stock kicker box I have now is tuned for 40. Also very shitty made.. I was thinking somewhere between 32-35 would sound better for lows. I aked about a 30 box they quoted me 250$ plus tax at the only 2 shops i know of around here. I have my whole hatch the 2 i listed both will fit.
audiofanaticz Posted April 14, 2016 Report Posted April 14, 2016 I wish i could find a box builder that was decently priced Decently priced is pretty subjective. You are never going to find someone who builds custom boxes at prefab prices. Like with most things, you get what you pay for. I just built a box for a single 8inch woofer for $180.00, plus its going to cost him an additional $34.00 to ship it to him so that puts this 8inch box at $214.00. I dont think $250.00 is out of mind for a price, especially if its a shop building it.
solar0987 Posted April 14, 2016 Author Report Posted April 14, 2016 I wish i could find a box builder that was decently priced Decently priced is pretty subjective. You are never going to find someone who builds custom boxes at prefab prices. Like with most things, you get what you pay for. I just built a box for a single 8inch woofer for $180.00, plus its going to cost him an additional $34.00 to ship it to him so that puts this 8inch box at $214.00. I dont think $250.00 is out of mind for a price, especially if its a shop building it. Is it just a normal run of the line box? The prefab is 125 shipped. Alot are cheaper but dont say what there tuned to. I just want a basic no frills box. And I dont personally know whats good and what isn't anymore. what it should be tuned to what size ect. I just went by my research, and what I read was good ,no hard evidence per say.
Jessica Posted April 14, 2016 Report Posted April 14, 2016 who is going to build your box? just cause its custom doesnt mean its good. Guy at work has a custom box, 3 12's two 3" round ports. lmao Waste of money. Better get someone here to design it and then have someone build it if you cant do it yourself. Rest in peace, walled 87 accord build log 03' Corolla build with AA Mayhem inside. My super random youtube channel and terrible camera work. Wiring comparison by CaptainzPlanetz Wire and fuse guide by Guest SyKo13
solar0987 Posted April 14, 2016 Author Report Posted April 14, 2016 who is going to build your box? just cause its custom doesnt mean its good. Guy at work has a custom box, 3 12's two 3" round ports. lmao Waste of money. Better get someone here to design it and then have someone build it if you cant do it yourself. I dont have a builder atm. The 2 car audio shops around me are junk imo. Nothing high end. just basuc stuff they quoted me 250 for a box. wish i had the tolls to do it myself. Wood/screws/glue is cheap..
audiofanaticz Posted April 14, 2016 Report Posted April 14, 2016 Here is a box I built the other week for 2 kicker l7 15s.. http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/204163-kicker-l7-15-box-ive-been-working-on/ I wouldnt even waste my time building a single 12 l7 box for $125, even if its a plan jane no thrills box just because I dont do prefabs that are held together literately by the carpet and the caulk on the inside. If $125 is your budget (which it sounds like it is) you should try looking on craigslist for some used tools. Im sure you could find a used circular saw for $25 and a drill for around $40. That leaves you with $60 to buy a sheet of wood, some woodglue and some screws, and maybe a square or straight edge if you have money left over so you circular saw can follow it for a clean even cut.
solar0987 Posted April 14, 2016 Author Report Posted April 14, 2016 Here is a box I built the other week for 2 kicker l7 15s.. http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/204163-kicker-l7-15-box-ive-been-working-on/ I wouldnt even waste my time building a single 12 l7 box for $125, even if its a plan jane no thrills box just because I dont do prefabs that are held together literately by the carpet and the caulk on the inside. If $125 is your budget (which it sounds like it is) you should try looking on craigslist for some used tools. Im sure you could find a used circular saw for $25 and a drill for around $40. That leaves you with $60 to buy a sheet of wood, some woodglue and some screws, and maybe a square or straight edge if you have money left over so you circular saw can follow it for a clean even cut. I actually read over that build. Looks great! I dont have a budget per say. But 250 for a single 12 box is insane imo sub costs that.
xpoppadaddyx Posted April 14, 2016 Report Posted April 14, 2016 Here is a box I built the other week for 2 kicker l7 15s.. http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/204163-kicker-l7-15-box-ive-been-working-on/ I wouldnt even waste my time building a single 12 l7 box for $125, even if its a plan jane no thrills box just because I dont do prefabs that are held together literately by the carpet and the caulk on the inside. If $125 is your budget (which it sounds like it is) you should try looking on craigslist for some used tools. Im sure you could find a used circular saw for $25 and a drill for around $40. That leaves you with $60 to buy a sheet of wood, some woodglue and some screws, and maybe a square or straight edge if you have money left over so you circular saw can follow it for a clean even cut. That box looks very good!!! 2002 Chevy Trailblazer (Build) 2013 Nissan Altima (Build) Poppa's YouTube Channel Poppa's FB Page Poppa's Instagram
Triticum Agricolam Posted April 14, 2016 Report Posted April 14, 2016 I actually read over that build. Looks great! I dont have a budget per say. But 250 for a single 12 box is insane imo sub costs that. Mostly what you are paying for is the labor and experience of the builder. To build a box to the level of quality that audiofanaticz does takes quite a few hours of work. Its work that not just anyone can do, it is a skill that is learned through experience, so its not a minimum wage type of job. $20 an hour is probably on the low side for that type of work. If a box has $60 worth of materials in it and 6-10 hours of labor, that $250 right there and that doesn't include paying for wear and tear on tools or keeping the lights on in the shop, etc. Prefab boxes are literally slapped together and built out of the cheapest materials they can find. That's why they are cheap. I've built quite a few boxes for people where the box cost more, sometimes significantly more, than the sub/s that went in them. If you want to save money, buy the tools like audiofanaticz suggested and then the level of quality it up to you, or you can probably find someone on here who would be happy to build it and ship it to you, but you are probably going to have to get out your wallet more than you will like. "Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it.""Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."Builds:
bassfreak85 Posted April 14, 2016 Report Posted April 14, 2016 250 is very doable. typically your basic deign i charge 200+ shipping for a single 12. I use a 7layer hardcore maple plywood which is harder than the birch counterpart. typically shipping is around 40 bucks for a single 12" box around 2 cubes net.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.