Sundown Audio

Highs not so high because of amp?

Ratski

Ok so come up to full volume and check my output voltage going to speakers? Then convert to watts but being able to do that I would have to be able to use a clamp on ammeter to get my power. I have an alpine s920hd HU. It has a bit of adjustment in it. But I'm not super savvy with the adjustments as I don't quite understanding everything completely. The local stereo shop has the dd1 and cc1 and I had just wired my front and rear stages so I figured why not try it for 30 bucks it may be worth it. It just seemed that the gain was kinda low for the power requirements of my speakers. At that gain level the was placed at the point where distortion was just detected

The gain being set low does not mean you aren't getting the max power from the amp.

Do not do what that guy is telling to to do unless you'd like to buy new speakers.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Ok so come up to full volume and check my output voltage going to speakers? Then convert to watts but being able to do that I would have to be able to use a clamp on ammeter to get my power. I have an alpine s920hd HU. It has a bit of adjustment in it. But I'm not super savvy with the adjustments as I don't quite understanding everything completely. The local stereo shop has the dd1 and cc1 and I had just wired my front and rear stages so I figured why not try it for 30 bucks it may be worth it. It just seemed that the gain was kinda low for the power requirements of my speakers. At that gain level the was placed at the point where distortion was just detected

The gain being set low does not mean you aren't getting the max power from the amp.

Do not do what that guy is telling to to do unless you'd like to buy new speakers.

I'm not going to make any adjustments so far. I wanted to see what you guys thought. Now I'm sure if I had him set it at loud instead of sq it would be very loud but it would prob be extremely distorted?

What do you guys set yours at of you use a dd1? Did you use the sq setting or the loud setting?

Using the crossovers with the comps?

Yes. They are def loud but maybe my expectations where too high.

Usually the case my friend, then you start glassing in for more speakers. lol If they sound good then leave them alone. Adjust eq to your liking and enjoy.

As you approach max output you will lose headroom and run the risk of clipping them. You would be better off getting a bigger 2 channel so you won't have to max it out.

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

Usually the case my friend, then you start glassing in for more speakers. lol If they sound good then leave them alone. Adjust eq to your liking and enjoy.

That's funny cause the other day I searched around a bit and found pods for my front doors that will accept two 6.5" and tweeters lol I think I may have sucked myself out. The only problem is I would have to add an amp to drive the second set of components in the front.

Now another question I probably should ha e thought about. My front stage is rated at 80 watts rms and my rear stage 60 rms. Now I'm wondering how much power in actually giving them at full tilt. Being that my amp has a lot of headroom for highs

Inside of the crossovers there are two switches on the tweeter side. The one closest to the speaker terminals is for the cutoff frequency. I would recommend not touching that one. The one in the upper right is the attenuation level. From top to bottom, it is 0dB, -3dB, -6dB. The -6dB setting will make your tweeters quieter, the 0dB setting will mean there is no attenuating the input power that goes to the tweeters. If yours is currently set to the -6dB, you can move it up one click to the -3dB setting, which will double the power going to the tweeters.

As you approach max output you will lose headroom and run the risk of clipping them. You would be better off getting a bigger 2 channel so you won't have to max it out.

Well when we were tuning my HU showed zero distortion at wide open. And then we set the amp at full volume. Full volume is 35 for me and I think by my ear it starts to distort at about 28-30.

I wonder if I plug in a gain knob with a clipping indicator I would know better when I'm in that volume range?

Inside of the crossovers there are two switches on the tweeter side. The one closest to the speaker terminals is for the cutoff frequency. I would recommend not touching that one. The one in the upper right is the attenuation level. From top to bottom, it is 0dB, -3dB, -6dB. The -6dB setting will make your tweeters quieter, the 0dB setting will mean there is no attenuating the input power that goes to the tweeters. If yours is currently set to the -6dB, you can move it up one click to the -3dB setting, which will double the power going to the tweeters.

They are set I. The middle at -3 and the and the cutoff is in the middle

If you notice they have distortion at max volume then you are kicking their butt. You either need more clean power or more drivers or both.

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

Archived