Lights dim - HO alternator

I would also think, DMM's are digital, so the voltage you see, just might not be as low as it really goes. What are you grounds in the car? Right now my front battery to chassis ground is horrid, so I can't expect the best voltage since my amps are directly grounded to the chassis in the rear.

On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

Didn't read much of the replies.

Is this happening at Rev or idle? Or both.

Could be your turn on is high.

I'd get a meter with the min max setting, and whale on it a d see you lowest. Clamp it too. Hard for everyone to guess when you don't even know if the alt is turning on.

Also, quick quick bumps will dim your shit. If you wanna fix that, add more reserve or run some super caps.

But I'd want to know if the alt I bought is even doing anything first. Get out the tools.

It happens when I rev the engine up as well so there is no way it can be the alternator. It could be just the lights being sensitive to any voltage drop which makes sense but I do not know for sure because the interior lights dim as well.

So your car dropped to 14.5v and it still dimmed? What are the locations of all your grounds, and how are they connected?

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

I don't know where the grounds are besides the ones I replaced during the big 3 upgrade. I should have mentioned that my lights dim a little bit when I use my power windows as well. This occured before any electrical upgrades. Does this sound like a battery issue?

Check the resistance on your grounds, and the grounds you added, where are they? How did you attach your ring terminals, how did you ayah to the car?

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

Did you ever figure this out?

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

Archived