johnny40 Posted April 24, 2016 Report Posted April 24, 2016 Hi guys new to forums hope im posting in right section. I have a ported box not sure on what its tuned to. I have 2 alpine type r SWR 1242D subs. Using a alpine pdx m12 which has subsonic setting of off 15 or 30. The shop that did the work set it on 30 but other people are telling me to put it on 15. Any help much app ty
MotorCityFats13 Posted April 24, 2016 Report Posted April 24, 2016 Hi guys new to forums hope im posting in right section. I have a ported box not sure on what its tuned to. I have 2 alpine type r SWR 1242D subs. Using a alpine pdx m12 which has subsonic setting of off 15 or 30. The shop that did the work set it on 30 but other people are telling me to put it on 15. Any help much app ty if its a prefab box they are often tuned on the high side hence why the shop choose 30hz... the box is probably tuned in the low 40's.... if you play below tuning your subs will lose control "unload" and bad things start to happen .... now if the box was tuned in the low 30's you might get away with 15hz but it would be better if it had more options like a sweeping potentiometer and you could choose closer to 25-28hz I built my box to 32hz and set the subsonic around 25hz.... anything lower than 20 is almost pointless since humans cant hear below 20hz... I say almost because you can still feel the air moving but cant tell shit is going bad until you smell coil burning
johnny40 Posted April 24, 2016 Author Report Posted April 24, 2016 its not a prefab box the shop custom made it for the car and to suit the subs is about all i know atm. it was sealed before but i wanted it louder so they made the ported box but it nearly sounds like the sealed one sq wise. until i play some songs with the lower notes then you can def tell difference
MotorCityFats13 Posted April 24, 2016 Report Posted April 24, 2016 so they know what its tuned at and they feel 30hz is the best choice.... if you move the switch you run the risk on voiding any warranty claims if the shop wants to be ass holes.... and it does not shut down everything under 30hz it just starts to filter out at 30hz so it probably still plays down to mid 20's... to know for sure you would need to know what slope it is using
Smoove Posted April 24, 2016 Report Posted April 24, 2016 Proper name is infrasonic 2 Team Fi 15's v1 2 DD M5's 970amps of Alt 6th order blowthroughThe truck Blowthrough build : http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/155555-smooves-1996-chevy-ext-cab-c1500-slow-build/The 350z build : http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/170694-smooves-2003-nissan-350z/ My FB page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Smooves-Car-Audio-and-performance/719746144805343 Team Fi Audio http://www.ficaraudio.com/
MotorCityFats13 Posted April 24, 2016 Report Posted April 24, 2016 Proper name is infrasonic I know right... someone should tell amp makers to start putting that on the amps by putting sub sonic on the amps it makes me think it slows the amp down below 768 mph
Smoove Posted April 24, 2016 Report Posted April 24, 2016 Proper name is infrasonic I know right... someone should tell amp makers to start putting that on the amps by putting sub sonic on the amps it makes me think it slows the amp down below 768 mph Exactly why I thow this out there. I wish I could find Tony D's post. 2 Team Fi 15's v1 2 DD M5's 970amps of Alt 6th order blowthroughThe truck Blowthrough build : http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/155555-smooves-1996-chevy-ext-cab-c1500-slow-build/The 350z build : http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/170694-smooves-2003-nissan-350z/ My FB page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Smooves-Car-Audio-and-performance/719746144805343 Team Fi Audio http://www.ficaraudio.com/
Karkov Posted April 24, 2016 Report Posted April 24, 2016 Rockford uses Infrasonic....... EDIT: Is it still a rule of thumb to set "it" a half octave below tuning? Does it still depend on slope? Even with DD1+ how do I change slope?! Isn't it built into the amplifier and thus unchangeable? Am I thinking of something different or am I just super noob? Does "ohm rise" affect slope in any way? I think I need to go refresh myself on slopes........ 2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD) 12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option 2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67 3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet) 1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4 4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps (rear fill only) 1 ~ XS Power D4800 1 ~ XS Power D3400 8 ~ XS Power XP3000 160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power 320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0
MotorCityFats13 Posted April 25, 2016 Report Posted April 25, 2016 my amps paperwork says if you set it to 25hz it will not play 25hz and lower but I really think they had the wrong person write the instructions manual because every amp Ive ever seen has a slope and you cant adjust it but this is the point it starts to cut off.... but I dont know maybe class D amps work differently on their crossovers... the OP's amp has a 3 position switch and I have never seen that
poorfish88 Posted April 25, 2016 Report Posted April 25, 2016 Rockford uses Infrasonic....... EDIT: Is it still a rule of thumb to set "it" a half octave below tuning? Does it still depend on slope? Even with DD1+ how do I change slope?! Isn't it built into the amplifier and thus unchangeable? Am I thinking of something different or am I just super noob? Does "ohm rise" affect slope in any way? I think I need to go refresh myself on slopes........ Older RF amps use the wrong term subsonic filter as well.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.