Sundown Audio

sound quality differences between mono amps

VDub916

Sounds like your RCA is running too close to a power wire.

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

Only a jl amp would pick this up? My 4 channel rca's are run on the opposite side of my power wire. When I check my rca this morning, I used new ones and ran them down the middle of the car over the interior to the back. Should isolate any problems rca related

Well did you hot swap your RCA's? That seems to be the common way of blowing a pico fuse. I know going from a hifonics to a jl is a jump in build quality, you'd think the noise issues would be the opposite. I decided to just go fosgate T series on everything and just be done with it, hopefully I won't suffer issues with them like this.

Could you explain how 12V DC power could have an effect on AC power(=RCA's)?

Note, I've ran RCA's against power wires multiple times because of lack of space, haven't had any problems yet.(and i'm not the only one)

VDub916,

Your ground looks like it's on a side panel of your vehicle, that's usually not a good place.

Try what triticum agricolam said and if that still gives you issues, the amp is bad.

Thinking is the root of all problems...

You ALWAYS get what you pay for.

I actually have one of those 3.5 to rca

Adapters already. So when I hook the amp up to a seperate battery, how do I simulate electrical pulses such as turning on my lights or blinkers would do? The jl amp, if hooked up alone, doesn't make any noise until some kind of electronic accessory is used.

And as for hot swapping the rca's, I locked my car to cut power to the head unit before switching them. Even if the pico fuse is blown now, and not before, it sounds the same. Not really going to look into that at this point.

As for the ground location that I chose, it's not an ideal spot but I've done it there on other Volkswagens with no problems. I chose the spot because it was easy access for a nut and bolt. I will eventually switch mine to the spare tire well when I finalize my system. As for now, I am not ready to drill holes into my car that will expose it to the outside elements.

Just leave the amp hooked up the way it is except for the RCA to your phone. The RCAs can pick up noise from the 12v. The noise is ac as in alternator whine and turn signal pop. If there is a ground loop problem the RCAs will act like an antenna and pick this up. Separating the RCA from all power wires can reduce or eliminate this. The main problem would be the ground loop caused by plugging in your amp.

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

Assuming the fuse is OK and the rca type isn't an issue, what's the chance the power draw of the jl design is drawing more and exposing a ground loop?

I know those jl are designed to create rms across a larger range than a standard amp which can put more demand on the 12v system.

Great info, I'll do the rca test off my phone when I get home later.

I don't think power is the issue because I get the same problem when there is no power connected to the amp and it is only grounded. Unless I'm missing something?

Good news I think. When I play the sub straight from my phone, there are no issues. So where does this leave me? How do I fix the ground loop issue? I've tried new rca's and I've tried ground at another point. What is left to do?

Archived