kbsmoker Posted June 8, 2016 Report Posted June 8, 2016 that looks like a safe way to charge lol www.dcsoundlab.comyoutube video's kbsmoker2011 MECAOH AS3 Champ 147.5OH DB2 Champ 125.9WF AS3 3rd 147.3WF DB3 2nd 128.3 SystemPioneer AVH-P4300DVD2 sets Fusion Encounter 6.5 componentson Crunch Ground Pounder 1200.418" DC NEO on DC 5.0KKnukonceptz 1/0 through outBig 3 all 1/0XS D6500under hood D3100 in the backMechman 270....rebuilt by Ohio Generator
sencheezy Posted June 8, 2016 Author Report Posted June 8, 2016 that looks like a safe way to charge lol Yeah it shouldn't be done that way, and I'm not advising anyone to do it this way, it's very unsafe. I'm just showing people what I had to do, because there was no one to show me. So I'm just trying to help the next guy, while advising to do it the safe way. 165db with 237 DC Volts 6 15" SSA Evils 3 HV Taramps T60k @.33 18 XS Power D3400s Add me on SC, FB, IG, and YT @ Sencheezy
dangaranga Posted June 8, 2016 Report Posted June 8, 2016 Cheezy, pick one of these up to splice your cord into. It'll be a million times safer and easy to use in the future http://m.homedepot.com/p/Cooper-Wiring-Devices-50-Amp-250-Volt-2-Pole-3-Wire-Angled-Power-Plug-Black-S42-SP/206405351 Brandon 2000 Furd Ranger supercab 4x4 System: welding wire throughout the truck USalts 390amp Hairpin Juicebox in stock location 8 Banks of maxwell supercaps 2 American Bass Vfl 1100.1 wired to .35 each 2 Fi Audio Sp4 18's ( the DD sc 9918's smoked) Pioneer radio with Soundstream PA mids Powered by a nice sized soundstream 2 channel It's pronounced (dain-ja rain-ja) 2001 2 door focus 1 DD9918 SC
sencheezy Posted June 8, 2016 Author Report Posted June 8, 2016 Cheezy, pick one of these up to splice your cord into. It'll be a million times safer and easy to use in the future http://m.homedepot.com/p/Cooper-Wiring-Devices-50-Amp-250-Volt-2-Pole-3-Wire-Angled-Power-Plug-Black-S42-SP/206405351 Well I have the head and tail, that's what in the picture above. But I need a better way of connecting the tail of the Dryer cord, to the prongs coming out of the extension. Have any ideas? 165db with 237 DC Volts 6 15" SSA Evils 3 HV Taramps T60k @.33 18 XS Power D3400s Add me on SC, FB, IG, and YT @ Sencheezy
dangaranga Posted June 9, 2016 Report Posted June 9, 2016 The plug I listed has connections inside that you can direct connect your extension cord wires to so you don't have any wire splicing, but I just saw the little rig you made on facebook so it's good to see you figured something out Brandon 2000 Furd Ranger supercab 4x4 System: welding wire throughout the truck USalts 390amp Hairpin Juicebox in stock location 8 Banks of maxwell supercaps 2 American Bass Vfl 1100.1 wired to .35 each 2 Fi Audio Sp4 18's ( the DD sc 9918's smoked) Pioneer radio with Soundstream PA mids Powered by a nice sized soundstream 2 channel It's pronounced (dain-ja rain-ja) 2001 2 door focus 1 DD9918 SC
SnowDrifter Posted June 9, 2016 Report Posted June 9, 2016 Am I reading that breaker right? 4,500a? ~~~~~~~~SAY NO TO PHOTOBUCKET~~~~~~~~ Snow's DD-1 tracks here: https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/167433-snows-dd-1-tracks/ My take on OFC vs CCA: https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/110381-things-that-piss-you-off-in-the-car-audio-world/?do=findComment&comment=2461444
sencheezy Posted June 9, 2016 Author Report Posted June 9, 2016 I completed another project yesterday and I'm REALLY proud of myself haha. Check it out! 165db with 237 DC Volts 6 15" SSA Evils 3 HV Taramps T60k @.33 18 XS Power D3400s Add me on SC, FB, IG, and YT @ Sencheezy
sencheezy Posted June 9, 2016 Author Report Posted June 9, 2016 I completed another project yesterday and I'm REALLY proud of myself haha. Check it out! 165db with 237 DC Volts 6 15" SSA Evils 3 HV Taramps T60k @.33 18 XS Power D3400s Add me on SC, FB, IG, and YT @ Sencheezy
Wicks Posted June 9, 2016 Report Posted June 9, 2016 That circuit breaker rated to trip at 4500A is quite a bit high. You could get some massive damage before that ever trips. Also its an AC breaker being used in a DC circuit so the tripping mechanism may also have issues. I don't know the internals well enough to know for sure but something to keep in mind. I'd just stick with a good ol' fuse then risk a breaker failing. Since you're charging all your batteries in series, are you occasionally checking the voltage on each battery? If one battery starts taking a higher charge then the others then it could over-voltage and get damaged. Supercap banks use balancing modules for the same reason. You give demo's with your back door open? May want to think about protective covers for all your electrical connections. People like to probe their fingers around and touch things when they're looking at them. 12-16V systems are fine as you won't get shocked, but yours is a different story... Otherwise I dig going outside the box. This post sent with 100% recycled electrons. 2004 BMW M3Mechman 280A 2 - XS Power XP30001 - XS Power D375 500F of Maxwell SuperCaps (soon to be 1000F) iPadMini2Dash mounted O-scopeAudison bitOne (Remote DRC MP) Highs Amp - PPI Art A404 Hertz HSK130 (HSK165 waiting...) DC Audio DC9.0K 2- DC Audio XL12m2LEGAL - 147.3dB @ 41Hz OUTLAW - 150.2dB @ 45Hz OUTLAW - 145.7dB @ 30Hz JUNE 2014 SOTM WINNER 2014 COLORADO PEOPLE'S CHOICE WINNER SOTM BUILD:http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/141656-wicks-e46-m3-build-bass-turbo-button-and-a-big-new-addition/page-68#entry2802026
sencheezy Posted June 9, 2016 Author Report Posted June 9, 2016 That circuit breaker rated to trip at 4500A is quite a bit high. You could get some massive damage before that ever trips. Yeah I'm not 100% sure why the Manufacturer recommended these ac breakers. But it is common practice to use these as a HV high amperage DC breaker is nearly impossible to find, as well as very expensive and large. I'm not sure if you noticed, but I listed a fuse that I want to try instead. The next challenge to that would be to devolop a case for it. In case it does get tripped, when it does, it'll be a mess to clean up lol. Also its an AC breaker being used in a DC circuit so the tripping mechanism may also have issues. I am "assuming", that they recommended this one, the 4500a rating, because AC amperage blows a lot faster when installed on a DC circuit. Like a 200amp AC breaker on a DC circuit would blow at like 20amps of DC. I don't know the internals well enough to know for sure but something to keep in mind. Thanks, I am def keeping an eye out. I'd just stick with a good ol' fuse then risk a breaker failing. Yeah I'm going to put a fuse between amp and distro block, and then master switch between dblock and battery bank. Since you're charging all your batteries in series, are you occasionally checking the voltage on each battery? I am not occasionally checking the voltage of each battery. One idea was to install a volt meter at each battery. I haven't done it yet because again, I was advised it's nothing to concern about. I received this from both Taramps and Scotte from XS. If one battery starts taking a higher charge then the others then it could over-voltage and get damaged. Supercap banks use balancing modules for the same reason. I do believe caps are more sensitive to overcharge more so than AGM. You give demo's with your back door open? I do. May want to think about protective covers for all your electrical connections. DEF something I've thought about! The first show where I did the 163. I could see people leaning over wanting to touch, and I really got scared when little kids where running back there. So I will think of someway to prevent accidentally incidents. It won't be as big of a concern once everything is wrapped and covered. People like to probe their fingers around and touch things when they're looking at them. 12-16V systems are fine as you won't get shocked, but yours is a different story... Being shocked honestly is inevitable at this point. I think I'm at number 9 or so. Actually on Wednesday, my hand crossed the POS and NEG block, OUCH! haha. It's no that bad really, just a good short sting. Otherwise I dig going outside the box. I really do appreciate your outlook on this. And you have very well thought out concerns. I am still looking for any help in how to make this better and safe, so please do continue giving feedback! 165db with 237 DC Volts 6 15" SSA Evils 3 HV Taramps T60k @.33 18 XS Power D3400s Add me on SC, FB, IG, and YT @ Sencheezy
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.