Question when adding horns

ToNasty

HLCD drivers are VERY hard to tune. While they may sound great, if not tuned correctly, Will do nothing but bring your stage down so low that you will need to let your seats all the way back and leaned back so far you can practically see out of the back windshield. Also, if you run HLCD ... You need to run them as a 2 way with a large as possible midbass ...

I personally wouldn't run them ... Can't enjoy the stage and image while driving. I'd spend the money on stronger, more dynamic amplifiers on what you have now. But hey ... To each his own.

Best of luck brother ... I will be glad to help out any way I can.

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

I'm curious to see how it works out after sleeping on it. Get to work !!!

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

Well since I'm getting the dsp and 8" midbass I'll just see how it works out without the horns first.

The integration of the horn and mid I am guessing will match up a little better with the SF and ES-Horns. Usually horns are compared with low xmax high efficiency pro audio type drivers. I am wondering if the 8" mids with a little bit better xmax will blend better.

With the DSP you should be able to tame the horn. An old school laptop (Win 7 with USB 2.0 slots pref. ) with a measurement mic would be a good idea. You can get the behringer's or others with the calibration file a bunch of places now.

The problem with horns is their efficiency. They basically dominate everything. Like Randall mentioned you need a kickass driver to keep up with them. I ran an 10" 87db driver with 300 watts and it wasn't making it. When I switched to a 12" PA driver on the same wattage it made all the difference in the world. Yes, you can pad down the horns but it can defeat the purpose. We use horns specifically for their efficiency and low wattage requirements. To say nothing of the sheer volume of output and dynamics. They can be difficult to tune since their directivity and output can make it difficult; but it's not impossible. A 30 band as for either side, 24db/octave crossovers, and the ability to use a parametric as as well can be extremely helpful. And never use cheap compression drivers. ..like ever. They are just awful. This is why people dislike supertweeters. They have a very harsh sound and cause listening fatigue very quickly

2005 Ford Focus zx4

AMT's and Planars

18" Infinite baffle

• 2 weeks later...

Archived