Jump to content

2005 Chevy Tahoe "Charging system failure"


Recommended Posts

Posted

I have a 2005 Chevy Tahoe that has just started giving me a charging system failure notice. Usually my truck charges around 14.2 during the day and at night I always charge at 14.6. Now the truck won't charge past 13.7 and never goes anything under that. I took a clamp meter and I am getting around 30 amps at idle and 13.7 all around, so the alternator is charging just not as high as it usually does. Alternator is a 300 amp Singer alt that is under a year old. Batteries are 2 D3400s under the hood and 2 D3100 and a D2700 in the back. Batteries are put on an Intellicharger every night. Anyone ever experience this issue? Tips to resolving it?

Posted

Put a load on your alt and see what happens

If your alt is internally regulated the charge voltage will be related to temperature

Posted

Put a load on your alt and see what happens

If your alt is internally regulated the charge voltage will be related to temperature

It seems to hold a load it keeps my ampere 5k above 13, I'll have to clamp it while I give it a load though. Yes it's regulated by the truck and I do understand that voltage fluctuates based on temp and other things. But that doesn't explain the error I'm getting.
Posted

Are your big three ground wires run through the battery current sensor?

Yes sir. Have one ground through the sensor to the alt bracket. Along with the headlight ground through the sensor. No other grounds up front.

Posted

Turn on your headlights. You.are pcm controled like me. And if yoy.have the big 3, you might be having a high charge problem as well

Refer to last post regarding big 3. I actually made a thread about that when I first got the truck and was doing the big 3 that you helped me with. It's been fine until today. I tried turning the wipers on which does the same thing as the lights and it stays at 13.7 still.

Posted

Is the battery current sensor unplugged?

If it's unpugged, it will default.chargw at 13.7ish no matter what. What se.sor could also be bad making it seem like it's unplugged

Nope it's plugged in. I took the terminals off the battery for about a minute and now I'm letting the truck sit. I'll unplug and plug the sensor back in before I start it again. I'll report back with what happens.
Posted

So a little update. I put a load on the alt and it's definitely charging. However I did realize that when I disconnected the terminals the wires to the truck were still connected to the other batteries. I just reset the truck and unplugged and plugged the current sensor back in. I'll see what happens now, if the issue continues I'm going to unplug the sensor and see if it acts the same way.

There's a video of the clamp test.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 793 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...