Second Skin Audio

Can I fit 2 18's?

RooTxBeeR

So when tax season comes, I am buying some new subs, I know I can already easily fit 2 15's ported in my car behind the rear seats. Now I want to see if I can fit 2 18's because that is much more cone area than 15's. I also really have no idea either, on how much port area I should run, that will make a huge factor in how big my box is going to be, and whether I can run both set ups or just one. I want to run 2 x 18's on more than likely a scv3k or some 3k-3.5k amp. Currently, my box I have in their for my 2 15's is 19.5D x 40.5W x 24H. The box is subs up, port back to the hatch. My 2 designs I am looking at is the exact same sub/port set up, and another is sub/port both up. The sub/port up I don't know if I can do, for the sub up port back, I am afraid I might choke the port. I cannot get much of a wider box. The one I have in now with the cars plastics still in, is very snug. I could probably remove them and gain another 2 inches. Right now, at the top of the box, there is 5-6in from the box to the hatch. At the bottom of the box however where the ports are, it's about 6-8 in of width. Let's say I make a box that is 22in deep instead of 19.5. The box then would have a 4-5in wide port, and at the top of the box, would have a width of 2.5-3.5 of space between the hatch and top of the box. Where at the bottom it would be 4.5-5.5in of space. Would that cause me to choke the port? At the bottom the space would be fine, but at the top of the box I would be too small, but there is obviously open space all around the box sides, so would that make a difference?

On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

The enclosure size for my 18 is about if not bigger than the average sized enclosure for 2 fifteens. It's about 7.5 cu ft. If I do go 2 18"s then I know I won't have a trunk anymore. This is all in a Tahoe. I really don't know the technical shit you're looking. Consider this a free bump, lol

The enclosure size for my 18 is about if not bigger than the average sized enclosure for 2 fifteens. It's about 7.5 cu ft. If I do go 2 18"s then I know I won't have a trunk anymore. This is all in a Tahoe. I really don't know the technical shit you're looking. Consider this a free bump, lol

Lmfao thanks, I know I can definitely fit the size if I build into the car. My main question is about the port area required for those 2 x 18's, as well, if I do that sub up port back style, will they be choked? Thanks for the bump lol

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

bump

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

If this is a trunk build then subs up port back seems like a terrible idea because of all the trunklid rattle. Look at some of the loud trunk build here, most are subs and port forward, pushed as far back as possible, trunk sealed off from the interior.

If this is a trunk build then subs up port back seems like a terrible idea because of all the trunklid rattle. Look at some of the loud trunk build here, most are subs and port forward, pushed as far back as possible, trunk sealed off from the interior.

i dont think he can manage.. he only wants to add 4 inches to his existing box..

my impala has one of the biggest trunks and putting 2 18's is almost impossible. with 2 15's im pushing it..

physical it can be done but the enclouser wont be optimal negating the purpose of more cone area. i would 2 4 12's instead. thats a bit more cone area than 2 15's and you get to throw more power to them making it even louder than it is

Archived