Second Skin Audio

subwoofer enclosure for boat

Anyone have any experience with audio in boats. My brother is wanting to add a sub to his audio on his boat and im going to be building the enclosure. . Just dont know if its the same as a car. . Iv designed and build alot of enclosures . Just never for a boat

Clarion cz702

Ssa evil mids and tweeters

ppi 900.4

2 zcon 18s

Taramps 10k

3 big dekas 1 xs

3 runs of 4/0 and big 3

300+ amp ohio generator

155.7 on dash at 36 (peak) 152 at 25

I think it's mostly the same, but won't get cabin gain like in a car since the boat is open. I'd recommend mixing up some fiberglass resin after the box is all built, and brush it in the box inside and out. this will help the mdf stand up to moisture a bit better.

thats good advice with regards to the resin. I have done alot of boats and if you place the woofer in the right place youd be very surprised how loud a boat will thump. I love doing boat stereos; almost always easier than working on cars and alot of room to build custom shit.

DB DRAG PSYCHLONE PRO 156.3 30 SECOND AVERAGE FO MAX AT 26HZ

LEGAL DASH DRIVER DOOR OPEN 158.0@30 HZ

MY BEST SO FAR, HOPEFULLY A 160 COME FEBUARY.

156.9@26hz  158.0@30hz

Many resins are still porous on their own. Paint or bedliner or similar as a top coat/barrier is best, over the top of resin. Plastic strips to hover the bottom board off the floor in case it's in an area that will see moisture will also help.

Seen many builds with 100% plexi/acrylic boxes or king starboard, but price is a limiting factor.

Static drops are my bag.

pourus resin? the entire boat is made of plywood, fiberglass and resin. how wet do you think the speaker box is going to get? if it gets that wet the boat is at the bottom of the lake and at the point bigger issues than a warped sub box.

DB DRAG PSYCHLONE PRO 156.3 30 SECOND AVERAGE FO MAX AT 26HZ

LEGAL DASH DRIVER DOOR OPEN 158.0@30 HZ

MY BEST SO FAR, HOPEFULLY A 160 COME FEBUARY.

156.9@26hz  158.0@30hz

In addition to using resin I'd avoid using MDF all together and use plywood. Marine grade would be best, but it's expensive.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

pourus resin? the entire boat is made of plywood, fiberglass and resin. how wet do you think the speaker box is going to get? if it gets that wet the boat is at the bottom of the lake and at the point bigger issues than a warped sub box.

I did say many resins (so the OP would do some due diligence on his own), and should have used the term 'not waterproof' instead of porous. Check any boat building web site (thehulltruth or bateau and others) and you'll see pages and pages of answers saying the same. I've never been on a boat that is 100% dry at all times. Swimmers, dogs, a little rain, overnight condensation, etc. will soak a carpet or moisten a coated floor quickly. A 'non-waterproof' resin-ed wood box will soak that up with the quickness and be junk in short time.

BTW the brand of boat I own hasn't used any wood since 1994. The only interior parts of any boat I've ever looked at that are not coated with gel coat or awlgrip are way up high under the gunwhales that should never see direct water.

Static drops are my bag.

I figured about waterproofing it decently, I was just mainly concerned with tuning and shit since iv never built an enclosure for an open area. Seems like lows really wouldnt be heard to good in an open area so maybe a little higher tuning would be better and wouldnt be to much power so maybe a little bit bigger enclosure

Clarion cz702

Ssa evil mids and tweeters

ppi 900.4

2 zcon 18s

Taramps 10k

3 big dekas 1 xs

3 runs of 4/0 and big 3

300+ amp ohio generator

155.7 on dash at 36 (peak) 152 at 25

Archived